Deck off Ruby's Cafe

John Frieh

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are alot of dumbasses on this site that either don't climb or are paranoid safety freaks (they probably climb with helmets too)

What is the point of criticizing someone for wearing a helmet? Wearing a helmet doesn't begin to equal "paranoid safety freak." If someone is doing something stupid that makes them more vulnerable, such as stopping to put in gear every 3 feet, then sure, point it out. But why dish on someone for wearing a helmet when leading trad? It can only help, by providing a marginal measure of security in case of a fall. wave.gif

-irrelevent photos of ourselves sending our proj's at "The Creek"

-a project? I rarely project, this was no exception, in fact it was an onsite if your into that sort of thing

-irrelevant? Ruby's Cafe=small gear, my pic=small gear

OK-helmets might not be just for paranoids (I even wear them in certain situations) I feel that if you progress at a rational pace, know your abilities, place gear correctly, and watch where the rope is in relation to your feet there are rarely situations in which you will need a helmet while cragging.

Just for you DH - another irrelevant, helmetless photo

362Jake_old-E.jpg

I feel that if you progress at a rational pace, know your abilities, place gear correctly, and watch where the rope is in relation to your feet there are rarely situations in which you will need a helmet while cragging

I defend your right to not wear a helmet. Good for you. But you're missing the whole point of what safety gear is for. It's not for when you know you will need it - it's for when you fuck up! You, my friend, have fucked up in the past. You will fuck up in the future. You do not know when you will fuck up, but you will fuck up. Helmets provide a bit of insurance against such fuck-ups.

yoda.gif

True greek,

My point however was that if you are experienced enough then you can keep yourself out of situations where "fucking up" would cause serious bodily harm. In other words you can perceive the dangers before they happen.

Uh, isn't that the definition of a fuck-up? Like you thought you were prepared for what was coming, got into the dire situation, and realized you were wrong?

blue 23 blue 23 ready set hike.

"on 2nites sports recap we return the battle ground of the armchair mtneer. as we all know this is a playing field for the only most cold hearted and bloated pale office worker. where one can lash out and attempt to throw their half cocked little experienced emotionally driven opinion all the way home.

who here has lead something other then incredible hand crack at the creek, i think that i can count only a few folks.

1. wrong size gear

2. dirty cams

3. inexperience with sandstone

4. endurance

5. technique

6. shoddy belaying skills

having a helmet on is inmaterial in this discussion.

freedom of the hills, not the opinion of unknowledgeable.

i wish i was an expert.

i wish i was an expert.

i wish i was an expert.