Deck off Ruby's Cafe

John Frieh

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John- I posted some pictures on CC.com under rockclimbing "trad" There are 8 pictures of this cat from SLC decking off of Ruby's Cafe. That dude walked away with a bruised rib!!!! He is sooo lucky. Check it out, and feel free to put them in a thread for folks to view. Pretty insane. I think he put in pieces that were too small. Ruby's takes yellow metolius the whole way and those cams ripping out of the crack are blue. I don't know what kind they are but just a guess.

Edit: Everybody happy now?

Edited by NOLSe

If you can believe it, he walked away from this with a buised rib! After speaking with three different people who all sent this to me. The best we could come up with is he was placing gear that was too small. The first cam was a blue Metolius cam and the second cam that pulled was a blue Trango flexcam. These are both smaller than the Yellow Metolius cams which fill ruby's all the way to the anchor. He fell from the first crux. Perhaps he was saving his yellow's for the upper crux at the roof. Borrow or buy more!

My question was eradicated. If this is a digital camera sequence, the recovery speed is amazing. Was this shot with some expensive digital rig? Doesn't look slide scanned.

They have pretty fast digital SLRs these days (# of CCDs and having fast media to write to is the important stuff). But that doesn't mean the pictures where taken with a digicam. They could have been taken with a regular camera and then they had pictures put on to CD/DVD at developement time or put through a slide scanner after they got them developed.

If this is a digital camera sequence, the recovery speed is amazing. Was this shot with some expensive digital rig? Doesn't look slide scanned.

There are a number of rigs that'll do 5fps (rough estimate of the needed framerate to capture most of a 30ft fall). Dunno whats expensive, but they aren't top of the line (Canon 20d for example)