Simond Piranhas?

wfinley

I have an old pair of Simond Piranhas I'm selling to a friend. I have no clue how much they're worth and don't want to overcharge him. On the other hand I don't want to give them away since I just shelled out cash for new tools and am looking at Ramen for dinner. How much are they worth? They're pretty beat up - the rubber handle is worn off - but they're still solid tools.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To an extent, it depends upon which generation and what condition they're in.

Are they bent or straight shafts?

If bent, are they the orginals which have a very sharp bend in the bottom 1/3 of the shaft, or the more effective later generation where the bend is near the upper 1/3 mark?

It sounds like they aren't the newest generation with rubber dampers in the shafts. Note though, the rubber on your tools can be replaced with self-vulcanizing rubber tape (the silicon variant is very poor). This tape is better than the factory stock rubber.

What condition are the picks in?

Are the bolts holding the picks in fused together, or were they lubricated? If fused, the small bolts with the number 1 on the end are going to snap.

Do they have wrist leashes? If so, which ones?

Are the tools green or silver? Or are they so old that they were pink or yellow?

Do they have the weight kits?

If they are the bent shafts with the bend in the upper third with picks in pretty good shape, I'd say 100 USD.

If they are the more radical shafts, 65.00. They might convert to superb leashless tools however.

Straight shafts, 80.00USD (Guy Lacelle did win the pure ice event at Ouray in 2000 using these tools)(Sorry Dru).

Cheers,

GB (former owner of every generation of Piranhas)

Do you have the forged Vautour pick in the right stick? If so, it's a better pick, but it provides too-shallow a hooking angle when used with your tools (I now use Vautour tools). If your friend is interested, MEC still has Piranha picks.

Re: Price.

The leashes are worth nothing:) Same for the classic picks.

Spare hammer is cool.

The self-vulcanizing tape works perfectly on those shafts.

Cheers,

GB

Now that we've established they're worth a hundred bucks... anyone want to buy mine?

I might be willing to go 90, after sawing the head of the adze off of one of the tools(the other is a hammer) and replacing its broken sex nut (chicago nut, post nut, etc...) with a 0.5" bolt/locknut. PM if interested, and I'll send you pix.

-t