Seattle Drytool Night

Weekend_Climberz

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the OSB backing in that pic so that to tools won't marr the otherwise pristine plywood?

Yes... anything will work but OSB is cheap.

Just a heads up but adding the backing to holds will likely require you get some longer T nuts for some of your holds... might want to grab a box @ the hard wear store when you pick up the OSB unless you already have a bunch of longer length

• 4 weeks later...

Stone Gardens is proud to open our dry-tooling wall to the public! The routes are on our outdoor wall. Right now we have M5-M7 and will get easier and harder routes up soon. Come lead or top-rope (must have passed our belay and/or lead/lead belay tests), rain or shine, night or day (bring a headlamp for night climbing!). Call the gym for more information at 206.781.9828.

RULES:

• Check in with front desk staff before climbing

• Top rope belayers, lead climbers and belayers must have passed appropriate Stone Gardens Test

• Climbers and belayers must wear helmets

• Eye and face protection is strongly encouraged

• Belayers must stand out of tool drop zone

• Spectators must stand well away from wall

• Be careful with tool placements, save the wall!

• If wall becomes damaged from tools or boots we may have to put an end to dry tooling here

• NO CRAMPONS ALLOWED

• NO MOUNTAIN BOOTS ALLOWED

• Please wear rock shoes or light approach shoes

• Tool only on holds, do not tool into t-nut holes or plywood base plates

• Do not hook arêtes

• Refrain from dynamic placements

• Report any rope damage or other incidents

• Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Jared_j and i hit Stone gardens and they get a :tup: Both for setting up the ropes initially even though they were busy (sorry for the snide comment, I was a little disgruntled with the prospect of not getting any drytooling in :wave: ).

Ran into Dylan and Andre, thanks for stringing the line on the M7 Dylan :tup: I scratched my way a few moves past the transition before burning out. Good quality routes. Definitely pumpy than what I've done outside so far, but a good evenings worth of climbing.

And mad props to the guy who let the M5 onsight for his first time ever using ice tools :tup: Serious cajones!

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody interested? Weather permitting of course. I'm thinking a 1/2 day either Sat or Sun. morning. E38, Issaquah, or even Stone Gardens, though I'd like to get on crampons as well as tools :wave:

p.s. First timers welcome, you just need to be able to belay. I've got spare crampons and tools.

Weekend Climber and I got out over the weekend and scratched the rock up a little more. The four anchors and the lead bolts are in good shape.

Mostly top roping but I finally jumped on the right hand route to give it a go on lead. Nice job on the bolt spacing Alex :tup: They were right where I wanted them :)

• 1 month later...

To be fair, I didn't really do any "developing" of the SR900 crag other than to replace some of the rusty 1/4 bolts that were already there, and add a few along the natural lines of ascent for leading. The crag itself has been loooong established; Dan Smith and I climbed there sometime in the mid-90s a few times, and other local climbers have rock climbed and dry-tooled there over the decades. In the summer time/when dry, the rock lines go at around 5.6 or 5.7. The rock itself is sandstone and is pretty junky and a bit vegetated, due to lack of traffic. Its the right combo fer drytooling practice through, certainly better than the downsloping slopers at ex38.