Snowshoeing Sucks

Tom253

No kidding! Ptarmigan (and Mt. Rainier in general) is exactly the kind of climb where skis would be vastly better than snowshoes. If you were to "carry over," the extra length of the skis extending above your pack would be little or no problem on the route and ski boots would be perfectly adequate for the climb. (I'm not so sure I'd carry over, though.)

I'm with you Matt, why carry your skis up it and then not enjoy the spectacular ski descent???

Still "glowing", eh?

Way to get it done. thumbs_up.gif

Personally, I like my knees so I don't ski. With that said, snowshoes rock. I can't believe it took me until 2001 to buy a pair of MSRs. Phhhhhh. I can do waaaaaaaay more things in them versus the "other" brands and squeeze waaaaaaaaay more mileage and misery in a 24-hour day than before!

-kurt

(edit for the accidental snaf.gif)

Edited by knelson

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can design a scenario (trees, rocks, etc) when snowshoes are better, but 95% of the time, it is no contest. Snowshoes are clunky and ineffecient. How many of the folks advocating snowshoes have spent significant time on a good pair of BC skis? Arguing that shoeshoes are better/easier/faster than skinning is just funny....

Edited by korup

I think you can design a scenario (trees, rocks, etc) when snowshoes are better, but 95% of the time, it is no contest. Snowshoes are clunky and ineffecient. How many of the folks advocating snowshoes have spent significant time on a good pair of BC skis? Arguing that shoeshoes are better/easier/faster than skinning is just funny....

Could not agree more!! Good post! I think the learning curve involved with BC skiing clouds the advantageous qualities at first.