Snowshoeing Sucks

Tom253

Went snowshoeing yesterday at Snoqualmie ski area. Expected rain at the base and snow up high. Not a chance. We got rained on the entire time. Legs are sore today from moving through heavy, wet snow. Saw a few folks cruising on cross country skis. They appeared to be having more fun due to the ease of movement. I was jealous. Snowshoeing sucks. That's all. Thank you.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In deep snow, the skier may well win your race. That is not difficult terrain to navigate on skis unless the trail is all hammered out by snowshoers. Also, I think you should consider the trip back out again -- hopefully, your trip "into" the North Ridge of Stuart is not just a one-way trip.

More practical sometimes. "Necessary evil?" Generally not.

I will give a keg of beer to the x country skier that can ski into the stuart moraine in less than 5 hours from the gate (not the parking lot) without taking their skis off with the exception of the river crossing in winter.

Let me know when you go so I can watch you attempt the boulder field. hahaha.gifpitty.gif

Well to each his own, but if I bothered to slog up ptarmigan, yes, I would take skis and carry over. Once it is too steep to skin (pretty damn steep) it's too steep to snowshoe.

Rainier is for skiing. It's too much work, too much slogging not to have some boards with you. If the route is too steep to have skis on your pack, well, it's probably a chosscapade on the willis or somesuch and I wouldn't be there anyways.

No kidding! Ptarmigan (and Mt. Rainier in general) is exactly the kind of climb where skis would be vastly better than snowshoes. If you were to "carry over," the extra length of the skis extending above your pack would be little or no problem on the route and ski boots would be perfectly adequate for the climb. (I'm not so sure I'd carry over, though.)

snowshoes let you:

bushwhack uphill while hanging off the vegetation,

climb verglassed 4th-low 5th,

handle easy mixed,

and create a spectacle of your buddy when he attempts to free solo the first 10' of panicdome in msrs cantfocus.gif

Edited by luwayo

I will give a keg of beer to the x country skier that can ski into the stuart moraine in less than 5 hours from the gate (not the parking lot) without taking their skis off with the exception of the river crossing in winter.

Let me know when you go so I can watch you attempt the boulder field. hahaha.gifpitty.gif

I'm in New Mexico until December 5th. I'd be happy to get a little exercise and take a keg from you at your convenience after that...

Oh yeah, SNOWSHOEING SUCKS, 24-7-365-inf.

No kidding! Ptarmigan (and Mt. Rainier in general) is exactly the kind of climb where skis would be vastly better than snowshoes. If you were to "carry over," the extra length of the skis extending above your pack would be little or no problem on the route and ski boots would be perfectly adequate for the climb. (I'm not so sure I'd carry over, though.)

I'm with you Matt, why carry your skis up it and then not enjoy the spectacular ski descent???