Alpine Every Day

Dechristo

Thought I'd share a snippet of a report to my employer explaining the consequences of performing construction work at an elevation of 10,950 ft. It's bizarre that concrete trucks can drive to such an elevation... and that I've driven and worked near tree-line at this location for nearly six years.

It's not climbing, per se, but definitely alpine... everday.

The weather, during the first four concrete pours (four separate days) for the perimeter foundation and interior slab sections of the garage, was cooperative. Frank and I poured and finished the perimeter concrete Thursday, November 3rd, to allow for framing should the project encounter an extended period of weather unfavorable to concrete work. Unseasonably warm weather was forecast and experienced the 7th, 8th, and 10th and successive sections of the slab were poured and finished with the help of a hired laborer. Frank was busy with other projects at the time.

The weather forecast was similarly favorable for the 11th. Concrete was ordered to pour and finish the last section of the garage slab on this date; the forecast proved general and not specific to the location of the garage. Immediately following the unloading of the concrete truck, a squall hit the site for a period exceeding two hours. Blizzard conditions with plummeting temperatures and accompanying high winds pounded the site while the concrete inexorably cured in the section poured. The question to be answered at that point in time was whether the slab section could be saved or be jack-hammered out and re-poured at a later date delaying the project’s completion by a week’s time. Working like men in a feverish trance oblivious to the whiteout that obscured one end of the jobsite from the view of the other end, the slab was saved… barely.

At a later date, after the garage is enclosed and able to contain heated air, this section of concrete slab will require a skim-coating and floor paint to acquire an adequate appearance. As is, the slab is functional in strength due to immediate application of thermal protection blankets, but its appearance is unacceptable due to an excessive introduction of water (melted snow) during the time finishing was required. I’m confident the finished product will exceed your expectations after the remedy I’ve described is executed.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Man, you gotta love it. In the old days, it sounds like sane people planned for construction projects to be closed donw for the winter weather. but now it seems thing don't conspire to let a guy get the winter off, and it's full tilt boogey on all kinds of projects and damn the topedoes. Pouring rain all month? Heck, lets pull off the roof! Concrete to pour? We'll boil the water for the mud in a horse trough, and light fires right next to the wall forms. A nice finished slab needed? How about a snow finish? Its the latest thing! Cool!....

Yup, gotta love it. Hang it there, hope for snow. Maybe when you're shovelling snow for more than half the work day, it'll be time to stop fighting it and go skiing.

cheers bob