taking lessons: ski or board?!?

knotzen

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's the training going, Unisport?

good...i've noticed a "slight" difference...feel a slight bit "crisper" on problems after a day of rest...i'm only doin' one day of the nasty a week...will slide it up to two in a few weeks...still bouldering 3 times though...

shoulders are a bit sore, but i think that's from wrestling...

I just took a friend up to Stevens yesterday (incredible snow BTW) to teach her how to snowboard. First off, do NOT get the Rossignol package at Stevens with your EZ 123 lesson pack. Those rentals boards are crap! Upgrade to the Demo package if you can't borrow a board from a friend. After an hour on the bunny hill, I decided she'd do better with a lesson. It's hard to teach friends, family, etc. And it takes patience from both sides!!

I have done both--skiing and snowboarding and I enjoy snowboarding more. I think this is for a number of reasons. I'll list what I think are the pros of snowboarding for you: Snowwboarding seems more fluid to me, there is less equipment to keep in check, the boots are way more comfortable, jumps and rails are so much easier to learn, and the board is easy to pack with you (with the right pack).

Here are the cons I hear a lot from beginners: you do have to learn to walk with the board strapped on, chair lifts are a bit more challenging as one foot isn't strapped in (use a stomp pad), you're on your ass a lot at first, and it's harder to learn (initially) than skiing.

And it's highly addicitive.

Oh, two more things:

Wear a helmet! Wear wrist guards!