taking lessons: ski or board?!?

knotzen

I'm going to do the Stevens Pass 1-2-3 ski/board lesson deal (3 drop-in lessons, w/ rental and bunny slope ski pass). I can't decide whether to do skiing or boarding.

I've been downhill skiing twice, about 15 years ago, so it doesn't really count (some XC, which kind of bores me). Essentially I don't know enough about either to decide.

Boarders do seem more cool. Is boarding really easier to learn? I have a tweaky lower back--would boarding be harder on my back? OTOH, all the falling you do while learning to ski isn't great on a back, either.

What things should I consider? fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um, HE-LLOOO! there's like, um.... another thread which already covers this topic!! omigod can't you read? rolleyes.gifhellno3d.gif

heh heh. just kidding. smile.gif

There. I did it. I called someone stoopid for broaching a topic covered in a recent thread. It's a CC.com milestone for me. fruit.gif Almost as cool as my first pagetop..... which I still haven't gotten (if I recall, you're like this too knotzen), cuz my posts-per-page setting, from day one, has been set to twice the normal.

Anyway.. on to your question... go with skiing! thumbs_up.gif then you can move on eventually to tele or randonee... I've always figured that split-boarders don't have nearly the versatility (as far as constantly changing terrain conditions) that B/C skiers have.

anyone who worries about how 'cool' they look doing something shouldn't be doing it until they've shoved a hot poker up their nostril and excised the part of their brain that makes them think that way.

FWIW, snowboarders do not look 'cool' doing that goofy-foot slap-lunge-fall walk that they do. Nor do they look 'cool' sitting in groups of 8 right in the middle of a run just beyond the top of a steep bit when you're going 800 mph. Yeah, I'm a skier but so what? I don't make a fashion statement and I'm not color coordinated. Neither do I have baggy-ass boarder pants and an iPod. I don't care what you think of me on the hill. Just be aware and considerate and don't run into my ass.

anyone who worries about how 'cool' they look doing something shouldn't be doing it until they've shoved a hot poker up their nostril and excised the part of their brain that makes them think that way.

FWIW, snowboarders do not look 'cool' doing that goofy-foot slap-lunge-fall walk that they do. Nor do they look 'cool' sitting in groups of 8 right in the middle of a run just beyond the top of a steep bit when you're going 800 mph. Yeah, I'm a skier but so what? I don't make a fashion statement and I'm not color coordinated. Neither do I have baggy-ass boarder pants and an iPod. I don't care what you think of me on the hill. Just be aware and considerate and don't run into my ass.

Holy Snafflehound. Some people wouldn't know humor if it bit them in their one-piece-ski-outfitted ass. hellno3d.gif

I think boarding is more aesthetic and fluid, with only one board strapped to your feet (versus two boards PLUS two poles waving around every which way, endangering all those around you as well as yourself).

But the back problem you have might be a concern, cuz you're twisted close to 90 degrees, with your back taking some of that twist. I'd definitely recommend trying it first to see how your back feels.

If your back is ok, then boarding without a doubt is the superior and only way to go.

Kidding aside - snowboarding is much easier to pickup. After years of tele skiing I could cruise the blue runs after one lesson and a half day of mucking around, and the single diamonds on my third visit. Particularly in deep snow it's much less a strain on my back (mine is way tweaky) than the tele boards - can't speak to the alpine - never been in them.

But if you want to do touring in the backcounty skiing is much more versatile.

After doing both for many years SNowboarding is waaay easier to learn!!!!! Boarding has two turns frontside ( 1 hour to learn) and back side (another hour) done!!

Skiing, snow plow( for a week ) then Giant S turns ( for another week) Then practice parallel turns for a year and your ready for a Hard blue square..

But the back problem you have might be a concern, cuz you're twisted close to 90 degrees

If Iam interperting this statement correctly then this THE most common mistake when snowboarding and is common with skiers taking up boarding. Your chest should be aligned front and center with your knees. So if your going straight down hill you are looking over your shoulder, chest perpendicualr to the slope.

Skiing is for places with no lifts

I'd factor in the terrain you'll be on most of the time. Certain areas or resorts have a lot of fall-line terrain that is great for snowboarders and then certain areas/resorts have terrain that involves a lot of traversing, which bums out a lot of snowboarders. So I would factor that in, especially if you'll be at one area a lot.