KEXP TO DUMP KXOT!

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, listen to your own music instead of having some soulless Clear Channel android programmed by a whitebread-suburban-stripmall focus group pick it for you?

rockband.gif

I'm sorry, I'm an idiot...

What does KEXP/KXOT have to do with Clear Channel?

(besides nothing)

"The nonprofit station (KEXP)is building an international profile by adapting to the Web faster than commercial rivals such as San Antonio-based Clear Channel Communications Inc., whose stations typically broadcast on signals of tens of thousands of watts."

Uh, listen to your own music instead of having some soulless Clear Channel android programmed by a whitebread-suburban-stripmall focus group pick it for you?

rockband.gif

I'm sorry, I'm an idiot...

What does KEXP/KXOT have to do with Clear Channel?

(besides nothing)

"The nonprofit station (KEXP)is building an international profile by adapting to the Web faster than commercial rivals such as San Antonio-based Clear Channel Communications Inc., whose stations typically broadcast on signals of tens of thousands of watts."

Psh...details. rolleyes.gif

blush.gif

KCMU lost its soul when it went to paid DJs and changed to kexp and developed more of a pre-arranged format promoting bands. Plus, it ain't college radio any more, being miles from the campus.

Good riddance. Maybe it ain't owned by clear channel yet, but it might as well be the way it caters to a particular demographic and accepts advertising now.

KCMU lost its soul when it went to paid DJs and changed to kexp and developed more of a pre-arranged format promoting bands. Plus, it ain't college radio any more, being miles from the campus.

Good riddance. Maybe it ain't owned by clear channel yet, but it might as well be the way it caters to a particular demographic and accepts advertising now.

I worked there "back in the day" in the mid 1980s. At the time KCMU was one of the top ten college radio stations in the country. People who worked there at the time went on to be very successful and in some cases famous in the music industry.

The point of this? There is no point. Who the hell cares. So what. In the 20-odd years I've been a listener, including the 3 years or so I was on the air and held a staff position there, I can't so much as say it's changed all that much. There have been years where the programming has been more or less cohesive, more or less mainstream, more or less interesting. Same for the on-air talent. I for one prefer the continuity and improved quality of the on-air talent as compared to the complete mishmash that it once was. I still hear incredibly cool groundbreaking music on that station, the kind that makes me wheel the grocery-getter to the curb and grab pencil and paper lest I never hear that new artist again.

I still hear incredibly cool groundbreaking music on that station, the kind that makes me wheel the grocery-getter to the curb and grab pencil and paper lest I never hear that new artist again.

One of the best things about KEXP is you don't have to do that pulling-over-write-it-down nonsense, or wait for a backlist that never arrives. In case you didn't know, KEXP has their last two weeks of radio shows archived on the web. All you have to do is remember the general time it was when you heard the song (or pull over and write it down tongue.gif), then when you get home, dial it up on your home computer.

Yeah yeah yeah fine everything you say is true, but I preferred the mishmashtic unprofessionalism of a runaway dj that might play 3 hours of throbbing gristle and possibly get the boot, only to be replaced by an equally unscheduled interlude of subjective programming ad hoc instead of playlist playlist playlist.

Come on! College radio with paid DJs? NO!

Plus, they dumped Pacifica and other alt programming.

And Paul Allen owns them?

Yeah yeah yeah fine everything you say is true, but I preferred the mishmashtic unprofessionalism of a runaway dj that might play 3 hours of throbbing gristle and possibly get the boot, only to be replaced by an equally unscheduled interlude of subjective programming ad hoc instead of playlist playlist playlist.

Come on! College radio with paid DJs? NO!

Plus, they dumped Pacifica and other alt programming.

And Paul Allen owns them?

There is no playlist at KEXP. Each DJ lights up his own program. The only requirement I know of (engineer friend works there) is to rotate in local bands once every hour on a couple of the programs. This is a great station, listner-sponsered, where you hear music you'll never hear on commercial radio. I don't like it all but it's a refreshing alternative to the commercial standards. Yea Paul Allen started it, but they are weaning themselves away from his cash with a plan to break even in the near future, and their getting there. Great innovations such as availability of achived programs, streaming, podcasts, etc. Nothing else like it around here as far as music programming. rockband.gif

My carpenters are going to be crushed, that has been the standard job site radio station for a long time. They're already muttering about ipods and such. The local indie, KAOS, does too much poorly produced talking head blather during the work day.

Just get a web enabled cell phone and hook it up to a stereo. I go by job sites and wonder how they can listen to comercial radio all day without becoming brain dead. pitty.gif

The dr. then gets the realization that he knows not what he's talking about

confused.gif

and quickly shuts his yap after a weak parting retort...

rolleyes.gif

If you think you got one over on Dr. Flash Amazing just because he fired from the hip and missed, you're both sadly mistaken and taking yourself too seriously. Keep in mind, friend, that Dr. Flash Amazing is a one-man book of Revelation for the culturally confused of the new millennium.

As you are obviously a Clear Channel apologist, you should be the first to get hip to DFA's jive, before you become another casualty of the misguided meanderings of the whitebread masses.

wave.gif

The dr. then gets the realization that he knows not what he's talking about

confused.gif

and quickly shuts his yap after a weak parting retort...

rolleyes.gif

If you think you got one over on Dr. Flash Amazing just because he fired from the hip and missed, you're both sadly mistaken and taking yourself too seriously. Keep in mind, friend, that Dr. Flash Amazing is a one-man book of Revelation for the culturally confused of the new millennium.

As you are obviously a Clear Channel apologist, you should be the first to get hip to DFA's jive, before you become another casualty of the misguided meanderings of the whitebread masses.

wave.gif

yellaf.gif