AT settup Questions!

selkirk

I'm interested in picking up and AT settup, and wondering what people opinions are on what I need! And I figured this is probably the right place for opinions grin.gif I'm primarily thinking about a used set, in the 1-3 yr old range. I don't know that i'm committed enough suck up the cost for a new one.

Right now I think i'm probably after all-purpose boards in the 170-180cm range, with DIN adjustable bindings. So.. any suggestions on boards/bindings and/or boots to look for? What is a reasonable price? (I've seen everything from 150-1000 in yard sale)

(My background if it's important: 5'10", 150lb, used to ski moderately hard in bounds (black/double black) but haven't ever done any BC and haven't skiied seriously in 7 or 8 years. Looking for something that will be fine inbounds while I get my legs back, but that I can take into the backcountry as well. )

So, please feel free to flame away, just sprinkle in a little advice while you do it! Thanks in advance grin.gifwave.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend putting most of your cash allocation into boots. You won't care how good your bindings & skis are if you've got cold & cramped feet all day. Scarpa has some new boots out this year, which means that you might be able to score a pair of the discontinued ones (e.g. the Laser) for cheap. Also consider if you'll ever want to use Dynafit bindings, as not all boots have the required inserts.

For an all around setup, look for a pair of skis with a 75-80mm waist. It should be easy to find a used pair with Fritschi, Dynafit or Silvretta bindings.

Don't forget that to get into the BC you'll need skins, and most importantly a beacon, shovel and probe.

Do you plan on using them to approach winter climbs? In other words do you plan on using plactic climbing boots as ski boots on some occasions (so you don't have to carry 2 pair of boots)?

FYI for anyone OMC in PDX is having a sale/consignment on the 12th... might be worth checking out wave.gif

Once you get your new setup, plan on spending the first season or so getting good on the new gear by skiing lift serviced and taking an avy safety course and going out and practicing your new skillz with people who know what they are doing.

Also, you'll want to read the avalanche report every day for the entire snow season.

See if you can rent some AT boots, and get to "feel" the difference in them as opposed to alpine boots.

I like my Denali Xt's, and that is because I did my homework, and tried a few different boots, and in essence, this boots fit ME the just right, and were good for me on long approaches, and tours.

Thats all I can say for now.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions here, I just wish I had all the answers, but you'll find something soon.

Thats all i can

AT settup

AT settup? Ttalk to Mike Hattrup smirk.gif

I see three categories of AT gear out there. There is the so-called "freeride" crowd that uses the beefiest gear available, maybe skinning just above lifts or huts and burling through stuff, the do-it-all crew that has pretty beefy gear but does a fair amount of touring, and the superlight touring/racing folks who have insanely light gear and dance over anything. The difference in weight between these categories can be enormous. The standard dynafit binding, for example, is over 3 pounds lighter than the fritschi freeride binding.

I'd start with something cheap, maybe used, until you put on a bunch of miles in backcountry snow. Otherwise you'll probably thrash your fancy new gear when you are wiping out in breakable crust, wind-hammered junk, rime, rocks, etc.

The advice to put most of your money in on boots is spot-on. I'd go new here myself, or get some older boots and buy some thermoform liners. Sierra Trading Post was selling dynafit thermofit liners for dirt cheap just recently. They are light.

I like the above idea of renting a couple different set ups before you commit to buying.

I also agree that good boots are the shiznitz. I've found that the heat to fit liners are worth the extra money(if your boots don't come with them)

Also I'd agree with Ian. You've gotta decide just what kind of bc skier you are. At first spending a lot of time on the lifts is a good thing, but eventually you may want to bc ski most of the time.

If you want spend most of your time mogul bashing and jumping then go for the beefier bindings, however if you're not doing that don't be put off by the lightweight bindings (dynafit) they're a lot burlier than they look. I dismissed them for years as being too fragile, but you can do most anything you want in them, and they are super light.

I ended up skiing an entire winter in Utah on AT gear (k2 shuksans, garamont mega-ride boots, fritschi freerides) and they held up really well in all kinds of conditions. I even used the AT boots for a 3-week mountaineering expedition in Alaska, and they worked great for glacier travel and ice climbing (though I didn't like them on rock at all). There are some trade-offs, plenty of times I wished I had a beefier setup for lift-serviced skiing, but I didn't really have the money for a 2nd setup. I paid about $700 (plus tax) for the whole setup at 2nd Ascent. The skis were demos that were only used a few times. I think 2nd Ascent is a good place to check out for a good combo deal on an AT setup.

Do you plan on using them to approach winter climbs? In other words do you plan on using plactic climbing boots as ski boots on some occasions (so you don't have to carry 2 pair of boots)?

FYI for anyone OMC in PDX is having a sale/consignment on the 12th... might be worth checking out wave.gif

Thanks for the advice everyone! Right now i'm leaning more towards an all around settup as opposed to either super light weight, or free ride setup. I should be Avalanche 1 certified by Feb. and already have the shovel and probe but no beacon yet.

I'll probably eventually want to do ski-approaches to climbs but probablynot this year, so i'll hold off on the Silvrettas for now (Well that and I'd need to buy plastic boots anyway grin.gif)

So, anybody got a cheep set of extra skies tongue.gif

Or you could climb in ski boots.

Or ski with climbing boots. I'm going to push that paradigm and get as much skiing (approach and descent) with a pair of tightly laced Verticals. They fit like a glove and though they aren't nearly as stiff as the G-Fits I've used, I really like the way they climb. But definitely not a day-to-day ski boot. bigdrink.gif

Or ski with climbing boots. I'm going to push that paradigm and get as much skiing (approach and descent) with a pair of tightly laced Verticals. They fit like a glove and though they aren't nearly as stiff as the G-Fits I've used, I really like the way they climb. But definitely not a day-to-day ski boot. bigdrink.gif

No fucking thanks. I've skied in laceup leather tele boots, that's hard enough. At boots or tele boots are better unless the grades get up there.

You are about 1.5 months too late for cheap AT shit, but something int the 80's in the waist, a pair of fritschis, and some nice boots will keep you happy.

Also, you'll want to read the avalanche report every day for the entire snow season.

Excellent advice, that. thumbs_up.gif I've heard people say that in previous winters, but never-quite-done-it-much (and consequently, have never felt I really understand snow well enuf, despite taking the Gary Brill class, and also studying the snow with friends sometimes on BC tours).

Just made the NWAC report my browser's home page. grin.gifGeek_em8.gif

As far as buying gear, dont forget about the Marmot stores in Bellevue and Tacoma. I've gotten some screaming good deals from their clearance section, including AT boots that were like 60% off!!! Their also let their employees sell their used stuff in the clearance section.

• 3 weeks later...

btw, if you have an "extra" pair of downhill skis, consider mounting those with your "new" AT bindings to save some cash for now. you can upgrade later once you decide what you really want.

(or get naxo's or freerides to replace your current downhill binding since those will both take downhill boots and have an adjustable DIN.)