Injury report(saved by a black diamond catalog)

joel20

It didn't happen while climbing but while I was at work in Iraq. I took a piece of shrapnel to my thigh about the size of a quarter after it went through a steel shipping conix and the black diamond 2005/06 Ice Climbing catalog that I had in my pocket. I can't really walk right now and they are flying me out sometime today to get operated on. It happened 3 days ago and it hurts like hell. It stopped right at the bone and the doc said that the catalog is about the only thing that kept my bone from being shattered. I ended my last tour 8 months ago without a scratch but I guess it's a little unreasonable to ask for that kind of luck twice. If you guys don't remember me I'm the guy who climbed Saddam's Tikrit palace less than a year ago.

I'll post some pics after the surgery in the meantime I may end up spending my winter trying to re-hab my leg by day and running missions and patrols at night. It sucks but of course I'm flexible and as it turns out New Zealand's winter happens to be our summer I'm pretty sure of.

Any remarks as to how I can rehabilitate myself in a field type environment?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hellno3d.gif

Hope they are taking you to Bethesda Naval... A fly fishing buddy is a doc there and he could probably arrange a few sponge baths from some of the cute female nurses.... yellaf.gif

Good luck and count yourself lucky.

A brief walk through of Bethesda Naval Hospital this past spring was a big eye opener for me to all pain and suffering we never hear about back in the states from this war... but I guess I'm preaching to choir...

Sorry you got hurt Joel. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Hope they are taking you to Bethesda Naval... A fly fishing buddy is a doc there and he could probably arrange a few sponge baths from some of the cute female nurses.... yellaf.gif

BTW Griz...

Maybe the nurse's aide or students could help with a sponge bath, as the RNs tend to delgate that task so they can concentrate on more complex aspects of a patients care. rolleyes.gif

I thank you for your dedication to serving the USA and, thereby, my loved ones. I hope you heal and rehab with nothing more than a scar and your story as a reminder of your injury. Yours is a great story involving the BD flak catalog.

I trust you bear a greater catalog around your heart to deflect its wounding.