Sleeper Rock Routes

Peter_Puget

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kunza Korner at Smith always seems empty/devoid of lines and hordes of climbers and brings me great happiness. That and I can often show up radiacally out of shape and crank it anyway. That fact alone always adds a star or 2 in my mental book.

Must be the long 1/2 mile of flat trail-extreme hiking which keeps people away. cantfocus.gif

I've always been partial to Old Gray Mare -> Crack of Doom at Castle Rock. Is that one uncrowded enough to qualify?

And of course Free at Last, aka "Tatoosh", at Index. It's never crowded! grin.gif

Though you may get the crowds at the base of Thin Fingers whispering and tittering behind your backs as you launch up ol' "Steep n' Dirty".

yeah people try to go down there when it's wet so it's become a little sloppy. Since the roof is just slightly overhung you can climb there in a light rain. There is some dry tooling potential over in the chossier stuff to the right as well. Reminds me a bit of Haffner Creek (w/o the sweet ice routes, that is).

"pinky and the starfish" first pitch is 4 stars all the way... probably the cleanest ground-up pitch i've led

This imperative whenever heading to the starfish!!!

On a serious note Papoose 1 is a good climb especially now that its been cleaned up.

Not really a sleeper, but it doesn't seem like many people know about those routes in general. There could be a few more routes there if people wanted to do some cleaning, but they would not be as nice as what is already set up there. There could be a good number of bolted dry tooling lines if someone had the time and energy.

Hey bp or sH, are the great polish towers where the coyote tower and "the route" reside? Or are you referring to another place for stupid human tricks?

The Cave route on Icicle Butt is a fun alternative to R&D's typical queuing...course, the route finding is a bit more tricky.

Snow Tick Crag:

MJ Dihedral instead of Orbit.

RpM instead of Outerspace.

Condor buttress....bring a rack and climb one of the gear routes (to the climbers left) instead of clipping the bolted highway, that is condormorphine addiction...

BirdNest Overhang, Idiot's Delight or finishing the Fault route to Loggers ledge instead of Catapult or the bone.

Blood Transfusion or clean Love instead of Mr clean or Smut.

Winter Solstice instead of Midway.

"pinky and the starfish" first pitch is 4 stars all the way... probably the cleanest ground-up pitch i've led

"This imperative whenever heading to the starfish!!!"

maybe... but its more like you expect a bit of "dirt", and are cool with that. then pleasantly surprised to slide on out of the polished slot sqeaky clean...with bottlenecked hand and fist jams and perfect pro fruit.gif

and bwrts; to answer your question...i don't really know but its up high, south-facing, and has the good stone.

whats "coyote tower"...?is that near dandome..? confused.gif

Edited by bobbyperu