Senate Backs Oil Drilling in ANWR

EWolfe

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, come on. If we're going to run ourselves out of oil*, why not run ourselves out of caribou and polar bears while we're at it?

*Does anyone else find it interesting that peak oil has not been touted as something of a silver lining to the cloud of our fossil-fuel dependence and all the environmental damage it has wrought? Want to see electric cars, biodiesel cars, bike commuting, clean air, no more drilling/oil spills/Ken Serawewas? Just run out of oil!

SUPPORT RENEWABLE ENERGY - BUY A HUMMER TODAY!

Quote GW, 2001...

"It would be helpful if we opened up ANWR. I think it's a mistake not to. And I would urge you all to travel up there and take a look at it, and you can make the determination as to how beautiful that country is."

I say it's beautiful. Nothing a few "discreet" oil drilling rigs can cure though.

Hell, give us a year or so, and you can drive right in and see how beautiful it is!

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

I don’t believe it’s necessarily a right or wrong about economic models as much as it is a story about the future.

Do you think it’s a fluke that China has embarked on a space program with a proposed mission to the moon with their stated goal to assess the helium-3 reserves? Oddly enough, I heard some Chinese entrepreneur interviewed on NPR who actually praised Mao for setting the country back 20 years or so in their economic-industrial development. Their delayed development is a factor that may allow them to take prime advantage of the economic model advanced by the West to leap ahead as a technological power. It’s not necessarily the innovators that reap the full advantage of developments as it is the adopters. Maybe the Chinese will be the only ones with the capital to smoothly make the massive transition in energy and related goods, a transition that could potentially produce economic convulsions in our society. Maybe there’s a rough ride ahead?

Then, of course, I could be speaking out my ass.