Stupid Colorado skiing...

JoshK

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Vail is big", that's what we used to say. Otherwise pretty bland, even though I've enjoyed a couple of 30"+ light pow days there with a local friend who kept us on steep enough terrain much of the time (dumping snow tends to keep the gapers at bay).

Crested Butte, A-Basin, yes Copper, and the Aspen mountains (Snowmass and Highlands, and all of the lift-accessed backcountry there) are my favorites. And all the backcountry, especially around CB. Endless backcountry, no rain!! The bummer in Colorado is that the backcountry can be pretty unstable until spring. Of course then it's epic! Good food, and nightlife and music scene rounded things out nicely. Ski all day, cocktails, jacuzzi, eat at a great place, then see the Meters or someone at night. Repeat. Those years were hard to beat. Now I'm getting sentimental, sorry! I enjoy skiing wherever it is. Just had to jump in on the Vail bashing for fun....

Edited by crazy_t

I went to Vail last week, now that snow has finnaly come. (unfortunately the negative temps have now come too. smile.gif)

The snow was great, no doubt about it. Down low coverage was a little meager still. Tree skiing up in the evergreens was legit but once you got down in to the Aspens and whatnot I quickly managed to eat shit on a thinly covered horizontal branch. I quickly went back to the open terrain.

The only "expert" terrain I got to ski was definitely not hard. Fun, yes, very, but the only challenge was avoiding the early season snowpack features. I agree that the bowls were overrated. I forget the names of the ones we hit because that place is so big.

All and all it was a great day of skiing with awesome snow, but the few runs of real skiing (i.e. not lifts) I got in Paradise Valley on Rainer the other weekend still top that! smile.gif

Oh, and I got to enjoy my first true I-70+snowstorm experienced. Much like WA, 4 out of 4 of the vehicles that were spun out on the side of the highway along the drive were SUVs. Some things are universal I suppose.

We had to weave through the carnage on I-70 after a day of climbing at Vail a few years ago. We were tired and really just wanted a relaxing ride home after helping evacuate a climber who took a full-on Acaulpoco-style fall from the top of Pitkin Falls, but on the highway all the new snow made it like "Apocalypse Pow." Big vehicles spinning all over the place, knocking into-one another - like one of those frictionless plane demo's in high-school physics. The last thing I rember is seeing the Land Cruiser that had just passed us breaking loose and hitting the median, and pulling a 180 before stopping a few feet in front of us. Thankfully the only casualties were their shades and hairdo's, both of which got seriously mangled by the air-bag deployment....

I thought this web sight was about the Cascade mtns not an

argument about CO sucking. Besides going to Vail on a ski trip doesn't make you an expert about discussing much of any thing, really. Those SUV driving crash dumbies are fools that just moved to CO because they heard it was extreme!!