friends of Indian Creek

Anyone who enjoys Indian Creek just the way it is should read this. You can go to www.moabdesertadventures.com/foic.htm This is the Environmental Assesment. They are giving climbers two years to police themselves. After the two years if there is still toilet paper and cat holes rather than folks using wag bags, they want to build some restrooms and established campgrounds which will all cost money. If you like the free disperssed camping have a read and sign up for the free membership for friends of Indian Creek.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to see something like this happening. I hope it works. Unfortunately, I do not have much faith in the self-policing skills of the hords of front-rangers and SLCers who commute to the creek on a weekend-ly basis. I fear that even with the BLM's proposal, many slobs will forgo wagbags and continue to shit behind every juniper tree, leaving the ubquitous brown-crusted snow-flower blowing in the breeze as a sign of their passing.

All those climbers know how to climb, camp, and party, but i get the sense that most creekers are relativly ignorant of proper waste management methods and Leave No Trace techniques.

I hope the BLM proposed plan works. It would be a wonderful thing if climbers could show up 5 or 10 years from now and find it in the same (or better) shape than it (the Bridger Jack camping area for example) is in now. Only time will tell if Human Nature can be improved a little. Best of luck to the Friends of Indian Creek.

I say good luck on trying to make me pay out there. There are only about a million places for you to rogue camp if they change the bridger jacks to a paying campground. Maybe it'll be good for the environment. Then again they don't seem to have a problem with having a Jeep rally out there with every hick this side of the Mississippi destroying acres of cryptobiotic soil.

So true!! Unfortunately they won't be out there counting the the quantities of living Crypto. They will however notice if folks are squeezing sites inbetween sites and notice how much toilet paper is floating around. This isn't the first time climbers are getting singled out. Let's just all do our part to keep the government out of our fun!! Your method could be inplemented after the fact of a bunch of climbers being stubborn and thinking they are above it all. Let's keep it the same so we don't have to resort to poaching.

Is this really singling out climbers, or would they restrict camping for all those hated ORV'ers too?

It seems to me that the ORV'ers have something to lose here too. They don't want to pay for camping with a greater ranger presence any more than climbers.

This seems like a great opportunity for disparate outdoor recreation users to find some common ground. Working together could show that we can conserve the environment (our playgrounds) and keep the Feds and their more onerous regulations out of the picture.

And I think the government actually giving us two years to clean up our act is way cool. I totally support government efforts to discourage a bunch of shit and TP strewn about the desert. This chance they are giving to see if we can get it done ourselves without their "help" is great.