Snowshoes suggestions anyone???

thatcher

I'm looking for a good, reasonably cheap pair ($150 or so) of snowshoes for winter ascents. Me and my pack usually end up weighing at least 270lbs. any suggestions on good brands?

whats with the MSR plastic snowshoes? are those better/worse/good for somethings and not for others?

PM me or just post here if you have any ideas.

thanks,

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The weight difference of lightnings over denali's are a couple of ounces to a half pound per pair, not much. There is more of a difference in performance and the bindings. I have denali ascents and last spring had the opportunity to compare with the lightning ascent's. The denali's sidehill pretty well, but the lightning's are even better at it.

For coastal snow pack, it seems like the MSR shoes are great, even without the tails. I personally prefer the Atlas shoes (12 series with ratcheting binding) because they are WAY more comfortable to walk with.

Sorry, NOLSe, I just had to defend another brand other than MSR wave.gif

MSR is doing a life time warranty on their shoes now, which is huge. They are also still made in Seattle; Huger. I've seen fewer warranty problems with MSR than Atlas; Hugest.

As long as you stay away from Crescent moon, Tubbs, Redfeather, you'll be fine.

Alan

The MSR snowshoes have some great features, but I really like my Atlas 1230's. They are a bit heavier, but they can take almost any abuse you through at them. The binding system is just awesome too. They are more than $150 though. You might be able to find the used online.

I have a pair of the Denali Ascents. The Televator is a good feature. I did a while on the Lightnings last year. Nicer than my shoes and way quieter. The fabric decks beat the plastic. But the add on tails help in softer stuff where the lightnings don't accept them. In the end Slowshoes are just that and it isn't worth my money to upgrade. If you can find a $150 MSR anything have at it and enjoy.

If you plan to do a lot of climbing in them, take a look at shoes by TSL. The are plastics, like the MSRs, and they are set up pretty well for steeper slopes. With good frontpoints, replaceable spikes, and a bale to raise the heel, I've kept them on after my companions have switched to crampons (which proved handy as conditions varied between snow and ice). They are available in a variety of binding styles.

I've used mine for several years and been very pleased.

Negatives? Here are a few:

1. Being plastic, they make plastic squeeky noises (acceptable in a blowup doll, but annoying in a snowshoe),

2. They don't float well on soft snow. (But they are great for the kinds of snow we see most of the time in the Cascades),

3. Finding them may be difficult. The are big in Europe (number one or two selling brand) but distribution in the U.S. has been inconsistent. I think one of the larger shoe manufacturers or distributors now owns the U.S. distribution rights. Next Adventure in Portland had some last year (I don't know which models.)

Ya they do pretty well. I am right at 180 lbs and usually have 25 - 45 lbs in the pack. In most cases of Cascade concrete I am good without the tails. When I add the tails it is pretty good even in whatever we call powder around here. If you truly are in the 270+ range I think you may need tails more often. If you get a chance to try them out that is good. But also remember that sinking in a bit is always going to happen. You just don't want to posthole with an anchor on your foot.