Cascade Cannonholes

dberdinka

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is one that Erik and I saw when we didn't look at the topo for W. Ridge of STuart and just climbed the Ridge proper from the base. Above three pitches of Class IV scrambling and we climbed right to it. Then when we crossed through to the other side, we looked down and saw where climbers were coming up the gulley and we realized we were off route. It is about 3x the size of the one telemarker posted above. No pics though.

There is one just below the summit of Old Snowy towards Ives Peak in the Goat Rocks.

Forgot about that one. Here's a shot of it...

6055snowy_hole.jpg

... which brings up a question. When is it a cannonhole and when is it an arch - or is it just mincing words. Seems to me a cannonhole is a hole through solid rock. This one seems more arch-ish as there isn't rock in the bottom. Granted, I suppose if I excavated down far enough I could find rock, thus making it a cannonhole, but you know what I'm sayin...

That's really more of a rhetorical question - I'm not going to lose any sleep over it or anything. And 'no', I have not Googled for the answer - just makin' conversation.

-kurt

Whilst out on the Isolation Traverse in the summer of 2004, saw one on what I think is the east ridge of Dorado Needle, as seen from the glacier just below and between Dorado Needle and Tepeh Towers, just southwest of the col between the two, on the Marble Creek side. Wouldn't have seen it, but camped at the base of the glacier, and needed to go back up to get my girlfriend's pack. Saw it as I climbed back up and looked northeast toward the col.

• 9 months later...

Verified this Cannonhole on the East Ridge of Dorado Needle. Looks like a pretty good size one. Look on p 308 of the most current Green Beckey. There's a tiny white speck up and left of the "W" in "SW Buttress". That's a cannonhole, not just a dust speck.

Here's a more closeup pic

598573-dorado_needle_cannonhole.jpg

598573-dorado_needle_cannonhole.jpg.0ded73e849effe897c3e1cc61b459a3a.jpg

I spotted one in the East Ridge of Forbidden this summer. Sudden storm inspired us to bail at the end of pitch three, base of that leaning pointy tower. From below enroute to the NE Ledges I saw a tiny, as in grapefruit size, hole through the ridge maybe 30' down from the ridgeline and 70 feet left of our rap point. No pic, though I bet a clever NE Ledge descender could spot it.

Verified this Cannonhole on the East Ridge of Dorado Needle. Looks like a pretty good size one. Look on p 308 of the most current Green Beckey. There's a tiny white speck up and left of the "W" in "SW Buttress". That's a cannonhole, not just a dust speck.

That is the same one pictured here I believe: http://www.pbase.com/nolock/image/55057519

I was thinking it was W of Dorado Needle, between that & Perdition pk, but I could be mistaken.