schoeller fabrics

dbconlin

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WB-400 is warmer and more windproof than the 3X dry, but slightly less breathable. Dynamic is more breathable than either, and lacks the microfleece liner found on the other two fabrics.

IMO WB-400 is a better choice when you'll encounter strong winds and weather, and be engaged in stop-and-go activity. The 3X dry is better for more sustained activity in cold temps, and the dynamic is better for cool temps.

I think most people just combine one of the more breathable fabrics with a really light hardshell for the stop and go stuff or when the wind kicks up.

• 4 weeks later...

Dynamic VS Dryskin VS Dryskin Extreme VS 3XDry VS WB-400 VS WB-formula

Alright here it goes: The Dynamic family is huge for Schoeller, a quick description would be : 4 way stretch woven nylon, non coated or laminated.

so usually pretty light stretchy and very breathable.

Dryskin is basically a Dynamic fabric but while being woven they weave stray yarn on the inside which is in turn sheered off to desired length. What this achieve is that the fabric itself wont be directly sitting on your skin but the little sheered polyester yarns " Fuzz" acting like tentacle, collecting and wicking sweat to the face where it can be disperse and evaporated.

Dryskin Extreme is the same except that its woven with a Cordura yarn for added abrasion resistance.

Now 3XDry is a moisture management chemical appliqué, it can be applied to almost all fabric. On the outside fabric it acts as a spoof-up DWR repelling and beading water, and on the inside it greatly helps with vapor transportation hence the better wicking, faster drying, water and dirt repelling. You should also check out Nano Sphere Technology it's very cool...

Ok , The WB400 is a Foam coating that is applied to any fabric. They take for instance a Dynamic fabric roll and pass it on a conveyor belt that both applies and uses a knife blade to spread the foam coat equally. Now this process can be used on its own but because of the rubbery feel of the coating ( not very nice against the skin ) they usually laminate fleece or knits to it at the same time that they coat the fabric.

The WB400 coating is cool because it achieved something kind of unique and that is a fabric rated at 3CFM ( CFM stand for cubic foot per minute of air permeability when subjected to 35 knot of wind).

In the real world that means that the fabric will breath very well compare to Gore's Windstopper rated at 0CFM, but is still very windproof.

We all know that breathability and water/windproofness is in direct opposition, at 3 cfm you won't feel clammy from moderate exertion, you won't notice wind unless standing in front of a Gale and it's going to take a very long time for you to get wet from rain, especially if the face fabric has a good DWR.

Finally the WB Formula is in the same line as the WB400 except that it is a membrane not a coating and that this membrane is fully waterproof/windproof,

So of course less breathable.

I hope this help and that my grammar and spelling are not too bad, English being my second language.

--

Gabriel

• 1 month later...

Hi Gabriel;

I was wondering where/how you got the cfm rating for the wb400. I can't find that info anywhere. I ask as I'm debating as to whether or not to buy the Mammut Laser jacket which is made of wb400. I'm hoping that it would replace all my other jackets and be one go to jacket for most occasions, but my concern is how windproof it is.

Thanks so much.

Best,

Seldon

I'd bet that Gabriel either works for schoeller or manufacturers stuff with it in close association with schoeller. I've been buying schoeller fabrics for about four years and that's by far the best explanation I've seen written down about the different fabrics. The only place I've gotten the CFM ratings for the different fabrics is directly from my rep in switzerland.

Dynamic comes in Extreme (ie with Cordura) as well, and can be poly-cotton instead of just poly.

I'd bet that your mammut WB400 jacket would be windproof up to the 50 mph range where you really want a hard shell.

Hi Gabriel;

I was wondering where/how you got the cfm rating for the wb400. I can't find that info anywhere. I ask as I'm debating as to whether or not to buy the Mammut Laser jacket which is made of wb400. I'm hoping that it would replace all my other jackets and be one go to jacket for most occasions, but my concern is how windproof it is.

Thanks so much.

Best,

Seldon

Seldon, I was skeptical of the WB-400 fabric myself until I bought a Beyond Fleece Cold Fusion jacket. It stretches really well and has good water resistance. I have worn it as an outer layer on Rainier in winter and found the jacket was windproof as far as I could tell. Plus it fits better than anything else I have tried on. And at $180, it was cheaper than anything else on the market that was comparable in warmth. Breathability is fine, better, in fact, than my Arcteryx Windstopper softshell. Beyond Fleece also makes clothing out of several other Schoeller fabrics as well, so check them out.

US made = thumbs_up.gif

Custom fit = thumbs_up.gif

Cheap = thumbs_up.gif

Customer service = thumbs_up.gif

Hi ssy and Crackers

I'm happy you like the explanation, I don't work for Schoeller but I do

work for a apparel company that uses there fabric, I found the CFM rating

mostly by talking to the rep and on there fabric swatch. It kind of sucks that they don't make that information more available, but then again most consumer are not familiar with this rating.

WB400 coating is rated at 1 to 3 CFM so really you wont suffer from convective heat lost unless your in a force 9+ storm. At that point I think the design come a lot into play, wether the collar and hem has draw cords and if the main zipper has a good backing.

Personally I have been loving the WB400 for just about every thing, except hight exertion activity like steep hiking and running ( who am i kidding I hate running) ...

Hope this helps

Ciao for now

Gabriel

I am interested in getting a soft shell and am thinking about going with the eastern mountain sports Gunk Jacket. It is made of Shoeller wb400 and is on sell from $ 185 to $ 69.00 for winter clearance. Just looking for some input because Ive been looking at the marmot sharp point and mountain hardwear alchemy, neither of which have shoeller but goretex outters. Anyway if anyone has recommendations please reply. Thanks.

Chuck

The thing about the patterns that ems uses in my experience is that they are not forgiving for technical users: they fit perfectly or not at all. Its like its made to fit 1 particular technical user and then 99 couch surfers, and you'll never know if you're the lucky one unless you try it on. I prefer schoeller fabrics over their gore tex competitors across the board.

Thanks. For $ 69.00 I think Ill give it a try and I can always bring it back. The store is close to my house but I have to order it online because they have no more. Well see how it goes. I have a couple of EMS down jackets that fit really well so maybe I have a chance. Seems the Quality is there and has a lifetime warranty. If you have any other info please relpy and it will be greatly appreciated. Have a good one. Re. EMS Gunk Jacket made of Schoeller.

Chuck