Portaledge Comparison

telemarker

I'm planning on a wall with ample bivy ledges, but some are comfortable for one person, cramped with two. So, I'd like to bring along a single ledge, but since I don't have the cash for a double, I'm looking at getting a single or a hammock design.

In your bigwall experience which is the best way to go:

1) Pika Parasite Hammock (attractive because of the price)

2) The Fish One Night Stand

3) Fish Econoledge

I'm leaning towards the Pika, since the Fish ledges are $100.00 to 175.00 more. I can use the Pika until I can pony up for a double ledge and fly.

Thoughts on the hammock style "ledges"? Your feedback is greatly appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Save your cash until you can buy a double!! You will be much more stoked. If you have a double....all you have to do is find a willing sucker to go suffer with you. They won't have the excuse of "I don't have a ledge". When you are really long walls or you just go really slow like me......You and your partner can each have a double to spread out on and be super comfy!! It's not like weight is an issue. Comfort is what you should be shopping for! Get a ledge with tension staps on the bed like the A5 ledges now ACE ledges and the Metolius Bombshelter is a nice rig. My partner has the Metolius ledge and the spreader bar feature under the bed is awesome for keeping the long side tubes from pinching in and robbing you of your shoulder space. My A5 Double does pinch in a bit. They are both really good ledges. I didn't like my first ledge which I used for 6 years which was a Fish "Double Whammy"......Sorry Russ! I cant wait for Dru to complain about this sounding like a gear review!! Just answering questions Dru.

The PIKA looks a lot like it is a copy of the old Forrest Hammock. I have spent a few nights in the Forrest hammock and it isn’t so bad. (A long time ago I spent a few snowy nights on a wall in a home made hammock - I became a bit wet. Hammocks are hard to stay dry in) You can even use it as a belay lounge. One problem is that it would pop off my feet a bit and I’d loose the bottom half of the hammock. Definitely buy some PVC pipe to use as a spreader bar. The Forrest was small so you can stuff it into the bottom of a pack. I have hidden it in a pack when I thought my partner was overly optimistic on finishing a route in a day. If you aren’t sure if you will ever do a wall again, I’d say it would be best not buying a ledge if money was an issue. If you plan on doing a bunch of walls or spending lots of time belaying from slings a ledge would be the best bet. A hammock sucks for sleeping. I bet you can score a good deal on a ledge on the secondary market => I think that’s really what I would do if I were you. I agree with AFIVE about going for the double if you are buying a ledge.

Edited by Peter_Puget

It doesn't sound like a gear review cause some reviews actually critically discuss the products instead of just spew hype about them... bla bla bla BUY THIS BRAND NAME IT IS SUPER COOL AND I SELL THEM!

I always love it when someone specificallymentions how they are looking for a particular type of product and people ignore their specifications and tell them to get something else that they don't want!

If he was looking for lightweight approach shoes you'd probably recommend some Kayland Multitractions?

I was just helping homeboy from spending and uncomfortable night with little to no sleep in a hammock. I did mention nice attributes of the Metolius which I like from a personal experience not just spew. I did forget to mention that I sell them, thanks for reminding me. It appears that someone else agrees, as usual, with my responses.

I also have a Metolius double with fly. It is the most stable, comfortable portaledge I've ever expierenced, which is limited but includes about 4 models. The big drawback is of course the weight. You package up the ledge and fly with the beefy haul sacks and it feels like 25 lbs to me???have never weighed it but you will argue against being the one to carry it down. If you are over 175lb the pika will scare you, my friend who has one, describes some bucking bronc sessions setting it up. I've spent a couple nights in a hammock but can't say I've ever slept in one...save your money. Jim

Hi,

you can choose this, me in a BAT tent on Mt Hooker in the Wind Rivers......

7263Bivvy_Mt_Hooker.jpg

or this, retired's double on zodiac.....How much does a fine hotel bed cost and how much is it worth?

3360Cody_on_ledge.jpg

If you are thinking of the Nose, you dont need a ledge, for emergency use a hammock is fine there. If the weather goes to shit it is easy to bail from up high on that route. Most parties dont even take a hammock, depends on crowds I guess...

i agree with the above. don't buy a hammock unless you plan to use it for emergencies OR are VERY concerned about weight.... read: you won't be hauling. if you are hauling, then get a ledge. and, if you are going to get a ledge - save up and buy a proper ledge. lastly, if you do get a ledge, get a double. even if you plan to solo. you can always use the extra room, but can never fit two on a single.

my vote is for the cliff cabana. built well, comfy, a bit finicky to setup but worth it. metolious is in the same league. the BD skylounge should only be considered if you can get it cheap - heavy, small(er), and no bed tensioners.