WTB: Good all around ice tools

thin_air_aaron

I'm looking to pick up a set of used ice tools that I can use for steep alpine and mixed routes and maybe dabble a bit in waterfall. I'm new to this aspect of climbing so I don't really have any specific types in mind (all the reading I'm doing is just making me more confused)... maybe someone can suggest some they have. Looking to spend under $200 if that's possible but might go up a bit if it's a good deal. Thanks.

Edited by thin_air_aaron

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Diamond Vipers. One season's use. Viper Android leashes and Viper Fangs included. $240 obo. Even if you're not doing leashless, the Fangs are nice as they protect the pinkys quite a bit. PM me if interested. Thanks. Will ship for free in US as well. Thanks.

Black Diamond Vipers. One season's use. Viper Android leashes and Viper Fangs included. $240 obo. Even if you're not doing leashless, the Fangs are nice as they protect the pinkys quite a bit. PM me if interested. Thanks. Will ship for free in US as well. Thanks.

I've done a bit of reading but what situations do you think those would be best used in? I think I just might be interested in those... I'll PM you

Edited by thin_air_aaron

I guess I got jacked for the BD Vipers so I'm still looking. Looking for a pair of Vipers or CM Quarks... something along those lines.

BTW thanks for the heads up wazzu, those might work but might not be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm trying to be picky (as much as I can with used gear of course) with what I buy so I can grow into it as my skill level increases.

I tried finding some info or reviews about BD CF Prophets but am not having much luck. The only thing that I can find anything about that is close to that from BD is the Cobra. Is there really much difference between the two? Are there any limitations of the Prophets? Sorry for all the new guy questions.

Edited by thin_air_aaron

The first WI I lead was with carbon Prophets. They dampen well, but due to the mainly straight shaft, even with the curve at the bottom it's still not as fun to clear a bulge with them.

The Cobra obviously has more curve to it, but not radically so. When I climbed with them last, I had the same impression of the grip; too big for my small hands. Man, did they feel great when they hit the ice, though. Just wish I had a little bit more fingertip span, or else I would've gotten them. I don't, so I sought out a pair of Quarks.

I'll sell you a set of BD "Rage" tools in Brilliant Orange shafts, with BD leashes, and two spare Cobra Picks.

Friggin' great tools (see AM+H website for specs).

Great condition. Asking $300 firm. Selling b/c I just got an $800 gas bill cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

Edited by Coldfinger