anyone still RE-glue skins?

Jens

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It has gotten a lot easier to do it yourself. There's really no reason not to do it yourself. Get the glue off by using brown paper bag strips, then running an iron over it. The heat will loosen the glue, then it will stick to the paper. You'll be able to tell when there is no glue left on the skin. Go to any nordic shop (marmot, second ascent, etc) and buy either the G3 or BD Glue sheets, put them on your skins, run an iron over the back, and you're done. You can still get the old BD Asc. Glue, although it is a little bit tougher to put on evenly. Send them down to Portland, and I'll do them, if the price is right! the_finger.gif

We used to do them to, but nixed the idea last year. One or two really aren't a big deal, but imagine the poor shop guy (like me!) who, after looking at his "to do" list for the day, sees 5 re-glues to do, then 4 more tomorrow. The amount of money we'd charge people to make it worth the shop's time (especially with the "awww crap" factor) would be close to the purchase price of a new set.

It is kind of a mess but it really isn't hard. Take the glue off with paper and an iron, as described, or use a heat gun or a propane torch and a broad knife (I hang them on a post in the basement where they can lie against a flat surface and work from the top down; it takes minimal care not to get glue on the front surface and of course you don't want to burn your skins). You can get everything off your skins in fifteen minutes.