Three Fingers Access

scot'teryx

FYI - Forest Road #41 has been washed out since this winter, and they planned on reopening the road in September, but now it seems they are not going to bother with it at all this year. The wash out is at 7.5 miles out of the 16 miles or so to the TH. From what I have heard from eyewitness accounts, it is like the Grand Canyon where the wash out is.

More info: http://66.155.42.150/advscripts/mbs_trl_rpt.asp?w=drd

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave the bike at home. Easiest approach to Goat Flats/Three Fingers is now the climbers' path from S Fk canyon creek. The gully road washout is only a mile before the S Fk canyon creek bridge crossing. Cross the bridge, look for tank-trapped old road on your right, take that road upstream about a mile, crossing one major stream/ravine outlet. Before the second (Sevenmile Creek), take the rib uphill in the woods. It's marked as a dotted line in "green Fred".

If you're OK with routefinding this is a very direct route to Goat Flats, almost as fast as the beaten-up Tupso Pass trail, and much pleasanter. It's half as long as the Tupso pass route and gains about 1400' more of elevation. If you've been avoiding the Three Fingers/Goat Flats area because of the mobs, this is the year to do it. Long may the washout remain unfixed!

It's apparent on a map that the closest road approach to Goat Flats is in fact the S Fk Canyon Creek crossing. The eight miles of road beyond that, to Tupso Pass, actually take you away from your destination.

The washout is easily negotiated by foot, incidentally. The washout is due to a stream blown out by debris flow from a seventies-era clear cut a few hundred yards uphill. A pleasing circularity there, a road constucted for logging plants the seeds of its own destruction.

Posted on the wta.org site:::

Aug 03, 2002 Three Fingers #641

Well, this is my second attempt to do Three Fingers. It's only been one month and I haven't come to my senses yet. This time my two sons and I decided we would go light and mountain bike the rode past the washout, and trail run it up to Goat Flats and knock that thing out. Crossing the road #41 washout was easy, even with mtn bikes - then the steady grind (10.3miles/2hrs) to the standard Goat Flats trail head. The thought of biking the trail crossed our mind and only lasted 200yds. That trail is the worst shape I have ever seen it - really needs work. Not only the standard root issue, but lots of windfall and winter erosion. So after parking the bikes we slogged up to the flats only losing the trail once on snow just before Saddle Lake. The Goat Flats were as beautiful as ever, and we could see the Three Fingers lookout - but could not get to it. With the heavy snow year, the glacier and snow have blocked the climbers path and it is very treachous. We couldn't even make Tin Can Gap, it would have taken some pickets and rope to make me feel better about it. Anyways, another failed attempt - and if they don't fix that road for a year or so, things will only get worse on that trail. Really to bad as it is an awesome place.

quote:

Originally posted by plexus:

Talked with a guy yesterday and told me that in May, he went in with a mountain bike. Never mentioned it being a major pain in getting past the washout. Then again he's also been crazy enough to try getting to Stout Lake
[Confused]
!!

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink] there is a lake of stout??? woo hoo [big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

Update on the direct route from Canyon Creek:

The Sevenmile Creek rib route up to Goat Flats no longer has a tread, and flagging is just a few useless bits of old orange and red

surveyor's tape. At present it should be considered a pure cross-country route: you'll have to find your own way. A cliff band about halfway up can be threaded via a walk-up gully climber's left. Time to Goat Flats, about 4 hours. Faster than bike + Tupso Pass trail.

The glacier arm up to the north peak already shows much bare ice. There is still steep snow on the trail to the S Peak past Tin Can Gap. Easiest route to the lookout at present is probably dropping down to the glacier and traversing.

Thanks dude, we are going tomarow. Went last weekend stupidly crossed 7mile creek and headded up that ridge. Totaly fucked. Hit trail at 3:30. Hiked trail to road. Hiked road out. Trail will be worse when all the snow melts off and youu have to go through avy leftovers. Road is in great shape. Would be an easy ride. Anybody know anything about the Medow Mountain trail?

I biked Meadow Moutain Trail where it is just an old road a few years back. Easy ride , especially on way out. Once it turns into a trail it gets pretty steep and thin. It wasn't worth it to me then.

By the way, biking the road was illegal back then. Probably still is now.

We took the right way this time, 5 hours from car to goat flats. Sustained, althougt not bad, bushwacking. Cliff bands can be got through by going right, they are not continious. would not want to decend in the dark!! The snow traverse is STEEP and EXPOSED, if youu don't have lots of exrearence on snow, (me) this is not the route for you. I wimped out. We had planned to bivy, so we hiked out the trail and spint the night at the trail head. The road march took 3 hours. Totaly worth going u[p there just t see the medows in bloom and the views. The aproach will keep the masses out, we saw nobody. Saw one car when we got back to the washout. I will take my bike with trailer the next time i go. As the daylight gets shorter the bike may be better for a one day trip. When I go again I will plan on a bivy. Bubba is very active in that area, so keep that in mind if you are planning to bivy at the car.

The WTA website says the Medow Mountain trail is hopeless.

• 2 months later...

from www.wta.org

Nov 10, 2002 by George Chambers

Tupso Pass Road #41 to 3 Fingers - The Glacier Peak Area

After stopping today (11-10-02) at the Verlot Ranger Station I found out the the Tupso Pass Road (#41) is now open to the trail head to Goat Flats and Mtn. Three Fingers. The big washout has been repaired and the road was openned last week. There is one large tree down on the road that needs to be cut out. Smaller vehicles can get around it, but large pickups and SUV's can not. The USFS expects to have the tree removed in about a week.

• 12 years later...