self-belay?

astrov

Could I self-belay on top-rope with a gri-gri? I.e. I'd have a stout anchor up top, rappell down from that, tie off to one end of the rope, and then slide my gri-gri up the other side as I went along. I want to do this mainly for the easy ice routes near my house; I would like to get out there without needing to drive to town to pick up a whiney partner with whom I would have to divide half the climbing time, etc. Falling isn't especially likely on these routes but I would like to have some kind of protection because it might happen, plus, having the rope around would make it much easier to bail off. thoughts?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's what I do for aid practice. About the only additional thing I do, depending on how sketched I get, is I toss in a stopper knot on the tail end of the rope after I pull up the slack. Do this every 10 or so feet just in case the grigri doesn't catch.

There is a ton of info on this all over the place... google 'grigri self belay' and you should be all set.