Ice screws for bailing

Dr_Crash

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never noticed much of a difference, and I have two different kinds (1 of each, and who knows where I found them; I certainly never carry them much anymore). I find rapping off one screw more nerve wracking then rapping off of a v-thread...plus, bringing v-thread cord is lighter and cheaper. I'd just go with v-threads and skip the bail screws altogether.

And if you want to bail mid-pitch, a screw may not help because, more than likely, you are bailing because the icejust got wayy too shitty, and so it won't hold a screw anyway. Might as well suck it up and pull thru, or downclimb.

I do have my v-thread tool. And I was told that v-threads in very slim ice hold surprisingly well. So good point you all.

Just for my education, what'd be a situation where a screw versus a v-thread would be required? I haven't climbed enough ice and am too lazy to think this morning (late night...).

drC

I do have my v-thread tool. And I was told that v-threads in very slim ice hold surprisingly well. So good point you all.

Just for my education, what'd be a situation where a screw versus a v-thread would be required? I haven't climbed enough ice and am too lazy to think this morning (late night...).

drC

There is basically no real world situation where you want to leave a screw. Maybe if the ice was in a crack and was too narrow to get a v-thread in but hell you could rap off a hex then.

There is basically no real world situation where you want to leave a screw.
That would only be in that real world where you could never possibly run out of thread material, and/or are comfortable using the unthreading-an-ice-screw-with-a-prusik rap anchor technique recently mentioned in another thread. Otherwise, you'll start leaving screws.

Here's a situation... How about you just saw a big nasty 'lanche come down a gully next to you, and you realize your's could be next! Or your buddy get's knocked in the head with a rocky rock and it's time to leave in a hurry! Of course, in that situation I'm not giving much of a shit if I'm leaving behind TI or my nice new turbo's.

Of course, in that situation I'm not giving much of a shit if I'm leaving behind TI or my nice new turbo's.

Meaning that I wouldn't plan for the shit to go down, ie. bring extra shitty screws. I hate bailing on climbs cause usually that means I got myself into a dangerous situation that I/we are unable to handle. I consider punishment for that type of situation the sacrafice of nice gear to the climbing gods/better climbers than me! I'm happy not pushing my limits like that anyway. So yeah, to answer your question, I don't bring extra bailing stuff (besides webbing).

Maybe the ice is too thin to build a v thread so you could equalize two tied off screws and rap off that. Jeff Lowe had some kind of crazy scheme for dealing with two tied off screws that seemed like a good but complicated idea. That would be one hell of a scary rap.

In this case pins would be a better idea.