Ozone, Wa

northwest_dad

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot's of new bolts!! A Vancouver resident has been putting up new routes out there for about a year now. I see him buying bolts for his new projects at least every two weeks. Haven't been out to check it out yet. I have heard mixed reviews. Great climbing to choss!

BTW, if that place gets popular I would expect it to get shut down. A guidebook would (IMO) be very counterproductive.

Edited to add that someone PMed me to say there were 2 ( TWO ) semi-secret Ozones in Washington and I was talking about the wrong one. So there ya go. They might be wrong about that as you live in Camas, close to the one I was thiking of. Since it is supposed to be secret how do we discuss it on a public forum like this? I've done some first ascents at one of them (no bolts or pins so it's disappeared into the ages now), but don't want to talk about it as I think at least 1 area around here should be kept off the books.

Thanks for the heads up, btw, I know of another (I believe) unclimbed cliff in Washington State, which I think I might have to now name "Ozone" when I get out there. That would lead to 3 secret Ozone crags and a bunch of confused climber heads.

That should stir the "pot" so to speak. yelrotflmao.gif

there is no routes info on this crag and hopefully there won't be. if you know where it is, then you know all you need to know. pick a route you think you can do and just start climbing.

if your looking for routes that have names and star ratings, this is not the place to you.

i'm going to disagree with AFIVE(G is that you?) and say yes, there are plenty of bolts out their but not many fully bolted routes. most routes require the use of gear.

Edited by markd

I'm not really worried about names and stars and all, I just don't want to be confronted by someone who might be all like 'this is my route and my project' or something. There is some pretty dangerous looking fall potential out there. Thanks for the gear tip though, I always travel with a rack anyways just in case.

Have you ever heard of the nearby badass dreamy trad paradise right down the road? Its called BEACON ROCK I don't give a fuck about the ozone...course I need to get all my ropes first....-relay message from the crumblingmaster himself, the legend...Lord.

I've heard of many fun 'new' routes there. neat location, shitty parking and steep trail down to the crags...not your average PDX crag.

ozone is plainly visible from the oregon side of the river - so no one can really get pissy when you show up and start climbing. my understanding is that it is on private land though, so it seems smart to try to minimize the crowds there. still, no one can justifiably get territorial over it (well, except the actual owner i reckon). i had fun the one time i went there, but it definetly isn't as cool as beacon. there are several enjoyable mixed sport/gear climbs to be sure, but like beacon, most everything is .10ish. a good spot for those spring days 'fore beacon opens...pm me an exciting shot of your girlfriend and i'll give you all the spray you want smile.gif

if i was a local anywhere i'd talk up some stupid crappy crag waaaaaaaay up on some hillside (maybe even one with like 4 pitches) and diss all the tourons by saying nobody has any sense of adventure anymore and i'd also wire every climb and go there with three hexes and tennis shoes and bullshit about the history of the area to anyone who remotely came withing earshot. And if any tourons actually did go and climb that stupid crag i'd get all territorial and then make em feel like spraylords if they so much as mention it to anyone else.

that's what i'd do if I were a local!