WM's latest "film"

sacco1

So I went out and saw the most recent Warren Miller concoction. It certainly got me excited about the season, but I was disgusted by the intense level of product placement. I've seen a couple of his others, but never noticed this. Have his movies always been this way???

I feel used and abused. I will certainly never buy another ticket to a glorified Jeep/CamelBack/Nature Valley/Grand Marnier commercial. I left that theater feeling like a corporate whore...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think every year gets worse and worse. There used to be reasonably subtle product views. Now, there is a gratuitous Jeep or granola bar in every possible shot. Not to mention the voice-overs, cooing about the amenities of Resort X, straight from the promo brochure/marketing department. Yes, I felt insulted last year, paying to be assaulted by a sales brouchure?

The Alaska money-shot sequences almost make up for it though...

BTW, the TGR film is touring too (Seattle, 11/3) and should be a good contrast!

WM sold the company to his son several years ago. I don't think he's been all that involved in the production since the late 80's Scot Schmidt NF one-piece era, but I could be wrong. Even then, Greg Stump's movies were better IMO.

Now there's abouta dozen different companies cranking out ski movies each year. "Booter Crunk" and "War" had a good mix of park and big-mountain footage, and you can download them for a week's worth of viewage at www.totalvid.com for $4. "Teddy Bear Crisis" had lots of huge-air-off-giant-cheese-wedge-into-powder footage, and lots of bad European techno, and a bit of big-line footage - but way less variety than the other two. "Booter Crunk" also features lots of Oregon talent if I'm not mistaken.

WM sold the company to his son several years ago. I don't think he's been all that involved in the production since the late 80's Scot Schmidt NF one-piece era, but I could be wrong. Even then, Greg Stump's movies were better IMO.

Now there's abouta dozen different companies cranking out ski movies each year. "Booter Crunk" and "War" had a good mix of park and big-mountain footage, and you can download them for a week's worth of viewage at www.totalvid.com for $4. "Teddy Bear Crisis" had lots of huge-air-off-giant-cheese-wedge-into-powder footage, and lots of bad European techno, and a bit of big-line footage - but way less variety than the other two. "Booter Crunk" also features lots of Oregon talent if I'm not mistaken.

Jay B your are close with this one. Warren sold the rights to his son, they were later sold to Time-Warner. Warren has been narrating only, for several years.

I had the pleasure of doing the World premier with Warren recently. He was not involved with this one at all. I talked with him afterwards. Kinda interesting and sad at the same time. He was obviously pissed at the movie that had been produced and then had his name stuck on it but he was an absolute gentleman about it. I'm goin to wait a bit as I would forsee changes.

Other than that the advertising was worse and has been so since Time-Warner bought the rights.

The movie didn't really help me get my stoke on. It was all relatively uninspired. Did have much good humor in it. The lines weren't all that impressive. They speak of a higher ground, but that feeling isn't really conveyed. The music was OK, with a few good choices.

Also, you can't get a Meadows ticket until April, as the voucher is only good for April 2006. Weak. You only have about a week to use the US Outdoor Coupon, not that I would want to go in there anyways.

Plake was good as usual. It was cool seeing him reinact the decades, I could have done without the poker game though.

The Time-Warner connection was new to me, did some googling, and found-

"The fees they ask for are a great value as a customer and as a partner," said David Perry, vice president with Aspen Skiing Co., which paid the movie company around $50,000 to include its Snowmass ski area in the latest Miller flick, "Impact."

Andy Wirth, vice president of marketing for Steamboat and The Canyons in Utah, said Miller's brand "carries a great deal of credibility and is really a key device in jolting people into thinking about skiing."

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041115/NEWS/411150302/1011/BUSINESS

So, it is far, far worse than I expected....

• 4 weeks later...

Come on guys. Who didn't laugh when they were all sitting around eating granola bars after a hard day of filming? And resort amenities are entertaining enough. The big problem with this movie was that the clips were boring. When I wnet, the bellingham crowd tired to get stoked, but couldn't. Glad I got my free lift tickets... wish I would have won the raffle.

• 2 weeks later...