rope tarp question...

worldonastrng

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gif

Look, it's a piece of cloth that keeps your rope off the dirt. It isn't some fancy scientific process. Use a tarp, bedsheet, dropcloth, shroud, body bag, ripped up tent, quilt made up of your old tighty-whites, or whatever the hell you want. If you kick dirt on top of it, your rope can still get dirty, but some sort of protective fabric will still help. If your rope gets dirty you can wash it. Pretty amazing, eh?

come on, we need to stretch it out to 3 pages rockclimbing.com-style.

What are the key features to look for in a rope tarp bag? What length of sling should I have on it? How will it affect my photography of top rope anchors for later analysis on the website? What is the perfect fabric color combo for photo composition? Will photos of the BD logo in the shot affect my patagonia pro status?

What are the key features to look for in a rope tarp bag?

Make sure that it is waterproof, breathable, and insulated. It is difficult to toprope 5.4s at The Feathers with a frozen rope.

What length of sling should I have on it?

The length of sling should be proportional to the bag size and overall rope mass. For example, a 50 meter 9.2 rope can have a shorter sling since you need to open less of the bag to get it out, than say a 70 meter 10.5 rope.

How will it affect my photography of top rope anchors for later analysis on the website? What is the perfect fabric color combo for photo composition?

The bag should provide a harmoneous addition to your fashionable attire for the day. Try to choose a bag that compliments your Prana Top and Capri Pants that you wore that day. In addition, consider the location you are climbing at. Brown is highly dicouraged at Smith Rock and Vantage, since you won't be able to distinguish it from the ground.

Will photos of the BD logo in the shot affect my patagonia pro status?

Photoshop

Go to a gear shop and ask them if they have any old footprints for tents that have been discontinued. They will get rid of it for cheap since no one is going to buy it for it's intended use now that the tent has been discontinued. The urathane coating on the high quality nylon won't let water through if the ground is wet, just like the material on rope bags with tarps. If you get a foot print for a three or four person tent you will have a huge tarp which you can lay out gear on (keeping cams out of the dirt too) as well as flaking out your rope. When you pull your rope from the anchors most of it or all of it (if your lucky) will land on the tarp rather than the dirt. In a pinch you can use it for a shelter to get under if the sky unleashes pacific northwest liquid sunshine. I have been using one of these rigs for five years now and it works great.

So money is an issue for the rope tarp?

(Not a bad suggestion A5 BTW).

Try this: all you need is a piece of meat and an ice axe.

May I suggest you start by driving around that area of town where your working poor live.

These areas are easily recognized by the boats and the trailers in the driveways, multiple cars: all too young to be classics yet too old to be anywhere close to new. In fact, there may be 4 vehicles which all share a single battery, said battery being rotated to the car with the most fuel in it. There may be 4 tires on them as well if they are not jacked up and on blocks; however it would be rare to see all 4 filled up. Leaves cover the cars. Last years leaves are under this years leaves.

-anyway-

Blue tarps abound on the roof tops. AHHHHHHHHH you spot the prey....shhhhhh, quiet is called for now that you have the prey in your sights. Remember that there are armaments and a well armed populace inside the homes. The little kids can outshoot most police and military personal. At this point it is not just mandatory that you have that hunk of raw meat, but that stealth and quiet be strictly enforced.

Raw meat you say?

Yes. Raw Meat.

Park a few houses away. Quietly creep up to the house in question, directly via the frontal approach, avoiding the fenced yard and keeping your meat in your hand. Yes, your meat is in your hand. You heard me.

Toss the meat over the fence. Hey, what kind of meat did you think I was referring to ya sickos. Anyhoo, that takes care of the Rotweiler/Lab/Wolf/Pekineese cross that lives in the mud and filth of the backyard.

Take the axe and hooking one of the already torn corner grommets pull smoothly so that the tarp drags towards you. This must be done before the Rotweiler/Lab/Wolf/Pekineese cross that lives in the mud and filth of the backyard finishes eating your meat or it will get loud quick. Don’t worry about what’s happening inside the home, they’re all glued to the tractor pull which is blaring at 200 Db on the cable TV.

Roll the tarp up and run like the dickens, taking care to to defecate on yourself from fear as you book out toward the car with the rolled up tarp under your arm.

Voila, you have successfully score rope tarps for you and all of your friends.

Course, you could go to the hardware store and buy one for about $4 too but of course that's not as sporting.