Ski width to skin width

robert

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole way, tip to tail, if you want maximum gripping power. However, the majority of the sticking power of skins comes right underneath your foot (right under your heel, if you are climbing).

Some people use "kicker" skins for more moderate angle touring, which just cover the foot area and leave the tip and tail bare. If you are planning to climb anything significant, tip-to-tail is pretty much the way to go. It will also prevent snow from balling up at the skin interface, which can be a nightmare in gloppy conditions (snow gets under the skins on the glue, and starts piling up).

If you are a cheapskate and don't need much gripping power, you can split a skin purchase with a friend, and each of you gets one skin. You can cut this skin in half and use it as a strip down the middle of each ski. Makes for some better gliding, but climbing can be tough.

Ski crampons. Seriously, 5mm isn't going to kill you. Nor will having the skins be 10-15mm narrower than the shovel.

I agree, but if you are going to the time and effort of trimming your skins to fit, you might as well get your money's worth.

Ski crampons are for pansies and telemarktips readers! hahaha.gif

Ski crampons are for pansies and telemarktips readers! hahaha.gif

Of course 99% of telemarkers don't/can't use ski crampon as their bindings are incompatible w/o a lot of fiddling.

Ski crampons are useful if you want to keep your skins on as long as possible (who wouldn't want to do this?). They're very common in Europe. If you were on a tour like the Haute route and you didn't have ski crampons, the Euros would look at you like you have two heads.

Even with perfect skinning technique there are many things you can't skin up w/o crampons that you could.

I agree, but if you are going to the time and effort of trimming your skins to fit, you might as well get your money's worth.

Ski crampons are for pansies and telemarktips readers!

The discretion of when to put on ski crampons is beyond most ttips readers.

I agree if you are going to trim skins do it right. If you are buying skins save the money. If they are the width of the tail you'll be more than fine for most fat skis. The only bit you'll miss is a tad at the tip, if that, on my crossbows the previous owner bought 120mm skins to trim down to 108mm. There's money well spent.

If you are a cheapskate and don't need much gripping power, you can split a skin purchase with a friend, and each of you gets one skin. You can cut this skin in half and use it as a strip down the middle of each ski. Makes for some better gliding, but climbing can be tough.

Actually, there is a variation on this that is better. I haven't tried it (being in the States I have to sacrifice to the wall to wall carpeting tradition) but it's common in Europe.

Get that skin, or just buy narrower skin for less $$$ (whichever is the best deal). Instead of just putting it in the middle of the ski, slit it lengthwise (leaving some attached at both extremities). When you put the skins on, glue each strip next to one edge.

Still less carpet and better glide, but you have the skins close to the edges, where you want them on traverses...

drC