NF Maude Ski Descent

benman

Skied the NF of Maude on Sunday. Conditions on the face were good with corn snow to 45 degrees. The traverse from the col was the crux. Skied several sections of 50-55 degrees with plenty of steep scree (no comment) in-between. Rockfall was also a concern.

Better to get there when the road opens but I was still glad to have skis.

I’m curious to hear from the folks who summitted on Saturday. We saw you from 7 Finger Jack but never thought to use the binocs.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

right on ben! you and the twins take the cake for rippin the classics, way to fuckin get after it, [Cool] end of july... [laf] mad props yo, met you'all couple years ago on the sulfide in november, we were snowboarding,and youguys had camped the nite before, fun snow, did colman deming that january with the twins, and fuck, strong skiers and climbers your crew is, i never seen dudes rip ice on tele gear like dat, anyway in my opinion you guys are the real deal... keep it up, way inspiring, o.k. now i'll get off your nuts, and return to roofing, thanx again for the stokeout, bp

Actually, not even the Hummels could stomach this one. They turned around near the end of the traverse so I ended up climbing and skiing it solo. Not that I blame them. Our only views came Saturday from the summit of 7 Finger Jack. Quite intimidating. Clouds moved in Sunday morning along with wind and rain. We each caught a few rocks during the traverse. That was enough for the Hummels and Bill Frans to call it quits. They waited in a moat above a short, exposed 55 degree slope. I skied it and continued to the summit with visibilities of a couple hundred feet near the top.

There are a lot of good skiers out there but few of them are willing to endure the pain.