Music

erik

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No class on this board at all. Anybody remember the first time seeing Apocolypse Now? Ride of the Valkeries rocks for the initial psych up while driving or riding the mt bike to the rock.

For the climb, it's gotta be punk. Dwarves, Minor Threat, Descendants, Agnostic Front, The Cramps, DK, Sleater-Kinney. More technical climbs, Fatboy Slim, MC Solaar, Digable Planets, Massive Attack, or anything else that goes down smooth and has a good beat.

For the top, Pavarotti, Cowboy Junkies, Morphine, Robert Miles, Leonard Cohen, or anything that will take the edge off and let you enjoy the view.

O.K......The Plugs,X,Wierdoes,F-Word,Stranglers,P.I.L.,Crass,The Fall,The Ramones,Rick L Rick,Joy Divition,Throbbing Gristle,The Damned,The Clash,The Sexes,Stiff Little Fingers,Buzzcocks,Eater,Wire,Poison Girls,Warsaw,Middle Class,Bauhaus,Birthday Party,Generation X,U.X.A.,The Dills, The New York Dolls,Iggy Pop,The Adolescents,100 Flowers,Rick Agnew,The Germs,Fear,The Cramps ....Don't get me started! All you snott noses were wetting yer selves when I was watching these guys transform music from the commatose state it had bogged down to. Most of this stuff was underground back in the 70's to early 80's so good luck finding any of it.

If you are into kickass tunes, turn yourself on to some of these bands. Drop me an email if you can't find something, I'll make you a tape. I've got over 200 rare L.A. and British imports on these big black plastic things called "records".

Today's music choices: 90's alternative. [so much better than 00's alternative Limp Toolkit, Crazyhouse, etc.].

Peppers, Nirvana, Pumpkins, Neil with Crazy Horse, Screaming Trees, flannel, jeans, unwashed hair, power chords.

Am I truly alone in my appreciation of the blues? Say it isn't so. . .

a partial list (to which I am partial):

Clarence Brown

Jimmy Dawkins

Peter Green

Buddy Guy

John Lee Hooker

Albert King

B B King

John Mayall

Otis Rush

Jimmy Witherspoon

and lest we forget:

Van Morrison

Rolling Stones

Pink Floyd

Tangerine Dream

Frank Zappa

Bruce Cockburn

Country Joe & The Fish

Allman Brothers

and our dearly departed Jerry Garcia

I thoroughly enjoy going to the Post Office in Leavenworth and loading the juke box with every Elvis selection available, then experiencing the irritation of the local hicks as they unpatiently wait for their Bon Jovi song to come up.

• 10 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by pope:
Wow! Herbie Hancock rocks! Great show, diverse audience, and a level of musicianship worth staying up half the night to hear.

You recycling today Pope? Lemme guess you are embarked on the best of pope on cc.com while you are on in-cube sabbatical?

[laf]

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:

Maybe some Headhunters/Thrust era straight FUNKIN SHIT UP? Or perhaps some Mwandishi era Fat Albert funk? I mean you did know that Herbie (not Herby) did the music for the Fat Albert right?

"Herby" is a little joke for the Muir hut patrons. Ever meet a musician who doesn't herb? Dru, he played a little bit of everything, including Rockit for the kids and boring modal piano improvs for the old guys who paid to hear just that (I was simultaneously satisfied and ...um...challenged as a listener). DJ disk did the scratchin', for those of you who missed it(is he somebody we should know about?).