FS - 1983 Saab 900 Turbo Mountainmobile

Thinker

1983 Saab 900 Turbo, black, hatchback, 5 speed manual transmission, $1800.

511674-CopyofLside.JPG

This is the ultimate climber/skier/biker/kayaker vehicle because it will go virtually anywhere and still look cool in the city. I routinely put three climbers with "climbing class"-sized packs and the kitchen sink in this beast and cruised into the mountains, up the Forest Service roads, and thru the snow. With a rack and chains it will carry anything virtually anywhere. (Think playful Swedish design engineers surrounded by snow and ice much of the year.)

Brand new windshield and 4 new tires. Power windows, manual sunroof, maroon fabric interior, 269,000 miles. This car lived most of it's live in Washington State (no salt) and has a nearly perfect body. It has been here in UT for one year now. This care really deserves the TLC and maintenance due a classic in this shape.

It has 2 nickel-sized surface rust spots, one on the RR fender lip, the other below the LR window. The hood has some minor damage (2 dents) and could stand to be replaced (a 15 minute job if you find the right color in your local junkyard.) The APC/Turbo gauge works intermittently, I use an aftermarket boost gauge that's more reliable. I have a replacement gauge, but don't feel like tearing into the dash to fix it.

I replaced the hatch with a newer one, due to rust associated with the former spoiler. I have not switched over the 'TURBO' emblem, but will include it with the car, of course.

The engine and transmission run fine. A previous owner either rebuilt or replaced the transmission, I have the shop receipt for that work. I recently replaced a faulty cooling fan.

The driver's seatback has some upholstry wear where one's bumm rubs getting in and out. The dash has 2 minor cracks.

The AC belt was off when I bought it 2+ years ago. All the parts are there, I doubt it works.

See more photos of the car at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/davesdata2/album?.dir=d0b7

This car has been my daily driver for the last 2+ years and I haven't hesitated to take it on roadtrips. A year ago it ran roundtrip from Seattle to the Smiff Tuft Luv Fest, to Lake Tahoe, NV and back; and then from Seattle to Salt Lake. This summer it's longest trip was 500 trouble free miles.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions or post more photos upon request. I'd even consider driving it back to the PacNW at my own risk if we make a deal.

511674-CopyofLside.JPG.92fcc65607999f48c444f5b0b1bfed63.JPG

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i owned a Saab900 Turbo htchbk, same era, 5spd manual. it was my logging road vehicle for a while. felt pretty skookum on the sea to sky hwy too, refined. i miss it. pals always enjoyed the hood popping up whenever i had to wiggle the fuses around. they were considered tanks too, but are now outweighed by the mini! good luck with your sale.