Partners and gear

rhyang

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you, rhyang--the issue is having respect for your climbing partner and their gear, no matter what piece is missing, or how many.

Wow, this really gets to me.

Hey AlpineK, I am really sorry that I stole a can of chili, a fork, and a tape of Pearl Jam from you in Zion, in 1993.

It won't happen again.

I can't believe someone actually had the nutsack to charge you for insurance!! That is coverage for their property--not your property.

Here's your quote. wave.gif

exactly. You will note that I do NOT say that insurance, etc is not an expense. It is not *your* expense.

And I think Dru has a great plan (I'll pay you the 0.05 for that post, but it's the only one I am copping to. I'll send the money to your acct in Nigeria) to collect for the wonderful services we all provide each other. Frankly, I think I've saved a lot by reading cc.com: I no longer have to purchase COmedy Club tix, I go to counselling less frequently, I save on "partners wanted" classifieds, and so on. Therefore, I will consider my acct even with all those folks I gave insurance and benefits advice (I mean, opinions) to. Oh, and the dog breeders thread should cost ya as well.

Dru, how much per PM? Should we suggest an accounting thread in the "What do you want to see at cc.com" thread?

The possibilities laugh.gif

I can't belive I just read 5 pages of this drivel.

I want last year's donation to Timmy back to compensate me for this utter waste of time.

The only time I even raise an eyebrow over a partner's use of my gear is if the do something along the lines of spilling hot chocolate inside my tent or try to piss out the door instead of getting the fuck out the tent to take care of business. Cramponing my rope is a little more serious.

So let's say you go climbing with an individual, put your gear into the rack, climb, then return to the car to divvy up your stuff. You've put rack tags on all your biners & cams, marked all your ice screws, etc.

You're tired, you think everything is as it should be, but when you get home and put everything back in its place you are missing a couple of biners.

Your climbing partner from the last weekend lives in a different city, and you send an email & leave a phone message. There is no response, not even a "sorry, I've looked and I don't have them." Finally after a couple of weeks, you see his user ID on cc.com and send him a PM - that gets a response :

i dont have them. stuff gets lost all the time if you do this long enuf... nothing new.

I guess I'm a little annoyed. I printed out maps, paid for permits, led pitches, and brought most of the gear we used.

Am I being unreasonable in asking him to please check again ? What would you think if this was the response you got ?

ask a Rabbi...seriously.