Partners and gear

rhyang

omfd! this thread is hysterical. i had no idea people were this uptight with climbing partners. charging for insurance that you'd be paying for anyway. bills for scratched cams. fussing over a couple of biners and an attitude. dang. people need to relax.

i've lost more biners than that bailing off a route. when i climb with a new partner, i'm more careful about checking for gear just b/c who knows if i'll climb with them again. when i'm climbing with people i know and see regularly, i figure that if stuff gets mixed up they'll return it next time if not sooner. i guess that's why those people are my regular partners. smirk.gif

ryhang-good on ya for letting it go. thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again. A certain level of insurance is *required by law* to drive a car. What is the *correct* way to proportion that expense?

Anyone?

Eat it. If you don't like paying insurance don't have a car. When I drive I never expect or request any money from any of my partners. When I get some it is a bonus. I figure that sometimes they will drive some and I will drive some and it will even out in the long run if not in the short run. I take people out who don't have a drivers license let alone a car and the same still stands. If you don't like shouldering the burden that is your call.

this why i demand a climbing resume with references for every potential climbing partner. I make sure the call the references and find out if the person routinely booties gear out of their partners rack, and how much they charge for car insurance. I like to shop around and see if I can get the lowest insurance, but you don't want to underpay for a partner. You may also want to ask what their deductable is.

Again. A certain level of insurance is *required by law* to drive a car. What is the *correct* way to proportion that expense?

Anyone?

Eat it. If you don't like paying insurance don't have a car. When I drive I never expect or request any money from any of my partners. When I get some it is a bonus. I figure that sometimes they will drive some and I will drive some and it will even out in the long run if not in the short run. I take people out who don't have a drivers license let alone a car and the same still stands. If you don't like shouldering the burden that is your call.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Minx,

AFAICT he did not let it go. He outed the bastard on his last post!

Tomtom and Archie,

I think Minx has a point on the fact that you'd be paying for the insurance anyway. It seems that you could reasonably charge a rider for any marginal cost (extra dollars it costs you to drive to-from the crag). Since you're paying for the insurance anyway, there is no marginal cost for the extra hundred miles that weekend.

Wear and tear, car cost/expected mileage and gas all have pretty easily defined marginal costs per/mile.

Now whether it's reasonable to pass these costs on is pretty academic. The practical rule followed in capitalism is supply and demand. What can you get for it? Actual marginal cost is a reasonable way to justify expenses so the person feels they are not being gypped. If they feel gypped they might not ride with you again. If you care about that (i.e. you want some "return business") then you might not want to charge so much next time.

Let's also not forget the fact that the driver has to get up earlier and get home later, and also has to drive, which though not terrible, I'd rather not do if I don't have to.

If both people trade off driving it's the best as all of this stuff works out. No money needs to be exchanged at all. If one person is always doing the sponging (e.g. Gary), then they really should consider that however much they are paying, it really isn't enough moon.gif.

Oh yeah, and with some of my regular partners we have a loosely followed rule that the rider brings the beer bigdrink.gif

Edited by chucK

omfd! this thread is hysterical. i had no idea people were this uptight with climbing partners. charging for insurance that you'd be paying for anyway. bills for scratched cams. fussing over a couple of biners and an attitude. dang. people need to relax.

I was wondering who might be the first to say that they had been charged for the stove fuel and of course the work done in carrying said fuel to camp. the_finger.gif

Oh, I let it go alright. Think what you will - I am not accusing anyone of anything.

but what's even funnier is this car insurance discussion ... I have never heard of anyone doing this, let alone spending pages discussing it.

Actually now that I think about it a couple of years ago someone told me about a woman who tried to get her carpoolers to reimburse her for a National Parks Pass... a schoolteacher type I think.

Duh, Dru. Its called depreciation.

What I think everyone is missing here is opportunity cost. How much does your partner own you for taking away time you could have used to make a killing in the stock market or buying winning lottery tickets?

excellent point. several of you will be receiving bills from me in the near future.

Oh yeah, and with some of my regular partners we have a loosely followed rule that the rider brings the beer bigdrink.gif

not a bad rule. i go with the rule that who ever is playing ropegun that day doesn't have to buy the beer. all pitches being equal, the rider bringing the beer seems reasonable.

In college I lived in a house with 2 other climbers. One of my housemates used to routinely pillage gear and every-time we went out climbing we'd have to dig through the crap in his room to find our cams, nuts or biners. Anyways... when it came time to move out my other housemate and I paid him back by grabbing a Tupperware container of re-fried beans that had been in the bottom of the fridge for months and sticking it in the bottom of one of his boxes. He didn't find it until the following fall.

Let's also not forget the fact that the driver has to get up earlier and get home later, and also has to drive, which though not terrible, I'd rather not do if I don't have to.

Not necessarily. The person with the car can have everyone else go to his house and then depart from there. Then the person with the car starts last and finishes first. The owner of the car also does not have to be the driver, as is often the case with long pushes that rotate drivers and dudes who keep the drivers awake.

Oh, I let it go alright. Think what you will - I am not accusing anyone of anything.

but what's even funnier is this car insurance discussion ... I have never heard of anyone doing this, let alone spending pages discussing it.

Actually now that I think about it a couple of years ago someone told me about a woman who tried to get her carpoolers to reimburse her for a National Parks Pass... a schoolteacher type I think.

Ohhh. I have even got one better. We were in a pool of people buying thermarests at REI as a wedding gift for some people. One of the person's in the pool said, "I think we should pay less than the person purchasing the thermarests at REI, becuase the person purchasing the thermarests will get the dividend at the end of the year. That is not fair."