What Happened at Cutthroat?

wayne

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3rd hand information here,

I heard that some dude fell in the summit area and was in bad shape. He had finished the south butress route?

I could be wrong. I'm sure as people log on later, more details will come out.

I hope he will be OK

Talked to two of the rescuers today, and they gave a few details. A guy fell somewhere around the double hump area by the summitt. Evidently he pulled on a hold or boulder and it came off. He was unroped and fell 100+ feet. He is in bad shape (cranial fractures) and other injuries.

my friend fell from just below the summit block into an east facing gully. my other friend heard him yell "oh shit" twice, heard some trundling and then nothing. he went up to his last spot and could not find him. after several minutes of searching he located him approx 200ft down the gully. upon reaching him, he performed first aid and attempted to stablize him.

he then descended the mtn creating his own rappels and ran to the car. the resuce got underway shortly after 530pm, he fell around 130pm.

he has not cranial fracturea, only a sever lacerations next to his temporal artery. when the resucers reached him, he was in hypothermia and his bleeding had stopped.

he is now at harborview in a coma with brain swelling at most of the bones on side of his body broke.

my friend is not sure what exactly caused him to fall, specluation is he either slipped or broke some rock. he was climbing unrpoed to the summit, though he was wearing his helmet at the time.

when my friend got back to his house saturday night and told us what happend our worst nightmares came true.

Yeah, Sorry to hear about your friend, Erik. When we talked to the rescuers on Sunday morning, it sounded pretty bad. But they said that he was strong and was in stable condition. I look at it as the glass is half full.

On another note, two of the rescuers from Swift lost about $1,000 worht of gear as the helicopter pilot through their packs out the chopper and down the South Butt. They were up there looking for it yesterday, but don't know if they found it. So, if any of you find it, it would behoove you to return it to the rightful owners, unless you want to have bad karma looming over you every time you get up on the sharp end. They worked for Mountain Rescue. Can't remember their names. Hell, I wouldn't want to climb on gear that had taken over a 1,000' fall. Be safe out there.

hope the best for my friend not me....

i was luckily enough to be enjoying the mountains a few drainages over.......and did not hear the news till later that evevning after waiting a couple hours for their return......

Just wanted to toss in a [big Drink] for the pair of SAR folks from Swift, and for the partner who did such an incredible job by acting fast and doing things right. We were on our way in Saturday when he was running out, and were on our way up to the accident site when the Blackhawk came in. We were relieved to hear, on Sunday, that they'd extracted him the night before, while we were watching from camp.

Erik, if you can pass on our best wishes, I'd appreciate it. I wish we could've done more for him, but we brought their backpacks out the next day, and left them with the Swift SAR couple who were going up to retrieve their pack.

Marcus