Car-Top-Tent

JERRY_SANCHEZ

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In South Africa in 2000 this type of thing was all the rage on top of Land Rovers. Every self-respecting Rhodie camper had some sort of off-the-ground tend on their vehicle to keep them off the ground and away from the scorpions and other nasties. But I agree with Couloir that you might crush your Honda or Subaru pretty quickly with a couple of people and one of these. Maybe only on vehicles with a roll bar?

My brother had a home-made version of something like that on top of his Saab many years ago and while I'm sure those you show here are easier to set up and easier to get in and out of, the thing was kind of a nuisance. Getting up and down from the top of the car was clumsy and of course you had stability issues if you moved around inside very actively. Also, it felt leass secure than sleeping on the ground, and was less private. It was also more visible where you were trying to keep a less obvious profile, an dit was more exposed to wind when that was an issue. On the plus side, of course, you didn't have to set the thing up in mud and snow and it wasn't as prone to flooding. On balance I'd just get a car top carrier and a simple tent unless you have a reason to want to avoid sleeping on the ground.

I have a demo-model/prototype device on the back of my truck that allows me to sleep comforably, and high-off the ground in any weather - very resistant to wind and rain, and set-up time is zero. It's also bolted to the frame and made of fiberglass so packability is an issue, but...

Looks like the ultimate solution-in-search-of-a-problem unless you're camping in a pit-of scorpions or something.

Edited by JayB

These are common in Africa, usually atop Land Rovers and Land Cruisers. As pointed out, they're reported nice when worried about insects and snakes—also, thieving baboons, lions (don't bother arguing about this; I'm just repeating what I was told), and other vermin, including fellow humans. On the downside, they're expensive and of questionable value in high winds. Having had my own ground-level tent invaded at various times by many of the above—no lions—I can understand the appeal for those with money to burn.

Looks a bit much to me. But I'm contemplating giving up my full size van (sweet for camping) and getting a small Forester or something. But then where do you sleep at 1:30 in the morning in the snow after a long drive to the mountains? How about 3 or 4 Yakima cross bars with sheet of plywood on top. Not much wind resistance there. Then throw a Bibler tent on top when in need of sleep? Anyway that's my plan.