Lessons from the Bible

snugtop

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've really strayed from the topic here...

The point is, the Bible is full of mixed messages, violence, cruelty, slavery, incest, canabalism--some f*cked-up stuff!

Next time a Jehovah's Witness comes to your door, tell him or her that you follow the word of the Bible very strictly and are wondering if they would like to buy your slave-children.

I think that the history of the text - who decided what to include and exclude and when, is an even more interesting topic. There was a time in my early teens when I was intensely interested ferreting out examples of senseless cruelty, barbarism, etc in the Bible, as I was sure that once I disclosed their existence the more obnoxious religious types around me would be speechless, then run home and examine the basis of their faith in a more rational light. After about two-dozen such encounters over the course of about ten years, it began to dawn on me that I was engaged in a hopeless task.

I've more or less completely lost my zeal for that sort of conversation by now, and find that I care less and less about what people say they believe and more and more about how they behave. I think that Mormon theology is some of the craziest shit I have ever come across, and have no idea how a rational being could believe 1/1,000th of it - but just about all of the Mormons I've met have been extremely polite, hard-working, considerate folks who seem to look after one another and raise nice kids - so they're cool with me. Ditto for any other religious people who believe crazy shit but treat others nicely.

Sometimes you have to argue, like when Creationists try to change the curriculum at the local high-school, but I think I'm pretty much in the pick-your-battles stage now.

The point is, the Bible is full of mixed messages, violence, cruelty, slavery, incest, canabalism--some f*cked-up stuff!

Next time a Jehovah's Witness comes to your door, tell him or her that you follow the word of the Bible very strictly and are wondering if they would like to buy your slave-children.

We have a Jahovah's Witless at work maybe I can mess with his head on the company dime.

Wait....never argue with them it's a waste of time. yellaf.gif

I think that the history of the text - who decided what to include and exclude and when, is an even more interesting topic. There was a time in my early teens when I was intensely interested ferreting out examples of senseless cruelty, barbarism, etc in the Bible, as I was sure that once I disclosed their existence the more obnoxious religious types around me would be speechless, then run home and examine the basis of their faith in a more rational light. After about two-dozen such encounters over the course of about ten years, it began to dawn on me that I was engaged in a hopeless task.

I've more or less completely lost my zeal for that sort of conversation by now, and find that I care less and less about what people say they believe and more and more about how they behave. I think that Mormon theology is some of the craziest shit I have ever come across, and have no idea how a rational being could believe 1/1,000th of it - but just about all of the Mormons I've met have been extremely polite, hard-working, considerate folks who seem to look after one another and raise nice kids - so they're cool with me. Ditto for any other religious people who believe crazy shit but treat others nicely.

Sometimes you have to argue, like when Creationists try to change the curriculum at the local high-school, but I think I'm pretty much in the pick-your-battles stage now.

Exactly. I am with you 200%. And not because my family is Mormon.

wait, whats the bible?? evils3d.gif