[TR] Yosemite, rostrum- Blind Faith 10/20/2005

Adventureboy

Climb: Yosemite, rostrum-Blind Faith

Date of Climb: 10/20/2005

Trip Report:

I'd been pining to try that big beautiful piece of stone for a long while and finally had my chance, having met a cat from boulder named brett.

We started our partnership rather quickly having linked up at Reeds area in the lower merced. Tyree and frosty and the rest of the gang and i were maxing and relaxing doing laps on lunatic fringe, a beautiful finger and hands crack that splits a slightly overhanging face and this brick shithouse looking guy walks up and says he's looking for a partner. We a knew him from a rest day earlier, where beer and slacklining were the order of the day.

So after another lap in lunatic' we picked a slightly spicier fare, two pitches of .10dR and figured eachother out. We sent and the rostrum popped into my noggin. again.

sooooo....

The rostrum starts by descending in from the wowona tunnel dropping steeply via trails and a few rappels to the base.

the first pitch is the easiest at 10+, through discontinuous flakes and several steep laybacks to the base of a 30' 5.8 chimney. Ahh, just the beginning of the business. runout but secure, it provides the first little glimpse of what is to come.

p.2 Starts with a scary traverse down from the top of the flake that makes the chimney to a tenuous stance and a few more delicate moves across a face gain the base of a finger crack. Sadly you have to place gear in the crux of the 11b finger crack to avoid a definite back breaker onto or inside of the big flake. The crux is short though 20 feet or so of painful fingers leads to a good rest and gear. after this, is a section of .10a laybacking then the endless hands begin. a full 115 feet of perfect 10b hands leads to a belay below a roof. p.3 Just out of the belay you pull the roof at .10c, followed by yes, more perfect fucking hands, just plug and go. this pitch really is worth the nastiness up high just to fly through steep perfect hands in perfect geometric dihedral similar to the split pillar. Pull through a bulge via face holds and flaring horizontal crevices .10+ and be stoked you are on a huge ledge where water and Gu can be imbibed.

P.4 or the first pitch of blind faith, starts with a traverse from the big ledge out right and up to the obvious splitter. at 11d she ain't no ho. The first 8 feet are the easiest section of the desperate line. great fingers and decent rests can be found in the initial section, it then turns quickly to a desperate race against shitty ring locks, bad feet, rapidly decaying forearms and gently overhanging stone, you are rewarded with the first sinker hand jam in 60 feet. Follow more glorious hands to a bolted belay by a tree.

p's 5 and 6 can only be described as this: 6 inches tapering to 4.5 in 80 feet and slowly, 11a BIG! and desperate followed by a 10b roof.

and then 6 inches forever,steep,arching and rounded and 11b, followed by an interesting traverse left to the regular west face 6th pitch belay.

p7. .11b What can i say, i was worked by this point, and bomber hands felt pumpy. it started off well solid in the 20 degree overhanging thin hands to 3 inches. then the crux presented itself. more goddam steep hands that tapered into tips at the top followed by the classic beached whale maneuver to the cave. I took once on this pitch due to the fact that my forearms were totally and utterly useless from the rest of everything that day. Pumped is not the word for this feeling, there needs to be another word. seeing the moves but not physically being able to do them without a rest, was a bit of a pisser but then again one shouldn't bitch about such petty things on such and amazing route.

p8 starts via weirdass traverse under the roof, head down looking at the yawning void below, feet scrunched up smearing on falcon shit, and greased out feet, to the final pitch of "5.8" offwidth to the top

All in all, probably the most amazing free route of my life,well worth all of that hard work for every inch of that beautiful column.

Go get it boys!!!!!

Gear Notes:

doubles 3, 4.5, 6 set of offsets set of rp's

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Don I got so much bite left that at least 1 guy has threatened me with death this month.

Cilly, I hope this has to do with your job as a Repo man rather than some anonomys asswipe on this site puffing his chest up.

If the latter, please share, theres no room for that kind of pussy crap in the world IMO.

Wishing all well.

Well, I suspect that the Gov't is trying to regulate that industry now as well then. They take all the fun out of things.

Back to the grindstone for me. blush.gifcry.gif

Seriously, if somebody on this site is sending death threats (and this isn't your girlfriends husband just having the usual issues grin.gif), give somebody, at least Jon, a heads up and they'll be history.

No, no ,I was refering to real life death threats.Guys with guns ,knives etc.It´s a jungle out there.

That's a relief. You might consider relocating to a safer part of the jungle. The only other solution is to quickly and quietly take them out immediatly after reciept of the next documented threat.

Self defense, end of story.

Good luck.