Carl Skoog dies on the South Face of Mercedario

MCash

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article basically says that after 2 successful descents on the mountain they went to try again, he had an accident and hit his head on a rocky formation. The slope was 60 degrees. I'm not sure what date this is, but it says they're bringing his body down on Saturday.

My condolences frown.gif

Sad indeed. Paz.

The article basically says that after 2 successful descents on the mountain they went to try again, he had an accident and hit his head on a rocky formation. The slope was 60 degrees. I'm not sure what date this is, but it says they're bringing his body down on Saturday.

My condolences frown.gif

It sounded ambiguous to me whether the first two successes

were ski descents. Probably were though... proud line.

When I was a kid, I’d hear about these guys, “The Skoogs.” I’d hear about their exploits and about how they’ve “…been all around these parts.” When I was older I had the opportunity to ski with them. This summer we skied Sinister Peak in the Dome Peak region, an area that they had frequented. I felt like I was crawling over their fence into their backyard. Carl was behind and so I hung back. I found that here is a person like me; passionate about the mountains! We’d tell jokes to make the hike up Downey creek as painless as possible. For those of you who have climbed up there, you can only imagine. He made it enjoyable. Further up, I asked him if he wanted to bivy because it was getting late, but he pressed on. I respected his drive, his overwhelming joy to be in the mountains, and his love of family and friends who equally savored the crisp air, the spring snow, the misbegotten valleys, the summits, the streams, the challenges, and the friendships. There is so much! It pains me to know that these colors won't shine again. That we are losing someone that so many other people could have gotten to know - that I could've gotten to know better.

waterboy.JPG

Keep crossing those creeks Carl. We'll meet again. Keep traveling up those valleys and climbing those mountains. You'll meet all your friends and family again.

Jason Hummel...