Beware of Boulder?

Dechristo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch your language. Folks will jump on you if you say anything politically incorrect. Also be prepared for someone to get in your face and give you a lecture if you do anything they think is irresponsible...I once had a guy flip me a bunch of shit because I took 2 of the free samples at the gocery store.

Other than that you should be safe for the weekend. If you want to get in touch with the true freaky side of Boulder you need to try to rent a room in a shared house in Boulder. I lived in one house with this guy who apon hearing that I was a climber infomed me that his nickname was, "Teton Ron," because he'd climbed the Grand 5 times. A few months later I came home and he was hanging out with some friend. (Key to this story is I had gotten in a wreck and I was fighting with insurance and my truck was fucked up)

TR: Hey Kurt this is my friend xxx

Me: Nice to meet you

TR: xxx does body work

Me: Cool, you should go look at my truck it's fucked up and I need bids on getting it fixed.

TR: Kurt I ment massage therapy when I said body work.

Me: Huh, well I don't need any of that.

If you want to go totally native you should walk around The Hill wearing all your rock gear. Stop by a coffee shop and get some espresso and tell folks your headed to the Flat Irons.

If you happen to eat out on the ped mall, be prepared to be hassled for your leftovers as soon as you exit the restaraunt. The most aggressive of these offenders are the trust-funders who are attempting to get in touch with their inner granola by fronting as homeless and underprivileged CU students. Fucking annoying.

Much of the same evils that are found in say bellevue are found in boulder. It just has a couple thousand college students running around with ipods listening to dave matthews as where in bellevue you can replace running with driving and college student with soccer mom. Beware of the flapjacks!!

HAHAH...the perception about Boulder is probably like 30 years out of date. All I know, is this place seems pretty damn yuppie to me. True hippies are rare enough that it is still fun to talk shit about or to them when they are spotted. smile.gif

If you have the spare time you might want to try to get tix to the CU-Kansas game if you like college football. It's a night game and those are always fun.

If you are single check out the Pearl Street bars. They are always good hunny-sighting locations.

As for currency, the US dollar is generally used at business establishments but a baggie of the chron' always makes for a good hard currency.

Yeah, that's Nederland.

Believe it or not, (you jaded fucks boxing_smiley.gif)

Boulder at one point in time was a fucking awesome place to live before the yuppies drove home prices and everything else through the upper atmosphere. It used to be a quiet little town, where the rent was cheap and so were a lot of other things. In fact I recall sunny days ambling up the Third Flatiron, and it would be all to me and my partner to enjoy. Shit, we used to sit on top and drink whiskey and point out our houses. Lumpy Ridge was pretty close, bouldering fucking everywhere, and of course there was Eldorado canyon, not to mention every other canyon as well.

Th hike up Bear Peak was always fun, Mt Sanitas was cool, and you can ride your bike everywhere if you don't mind wind and sand. But like everything else, where there used to be fields full of prarie dogs, there are now expensive houses and research parks. Back when I lived there the only "excitement" was the annual Halloween riots.

KInd of like what happened to Bend. It used to be called

"poverty with a view". Now they have a fucking glossy magazine called "Bend Living"

So I guess for me the real head scratcher is where in the hell do all these rich people come from??

And are any of them single? hahaha.gif

It's a well observed occurence that most yuppies are like the legendary "gray ooze" that would supposedly result from nano-bots taking over the world, they won't be happy until there's a Starbucks in every nice little town, all the locals get priced out of existence, and there are McMansions and (insert expensive gas guzzler here) as far as the eye can see.

they won't be happy until there's a Starbucks in every nice little town, all the locals get priced out of existence, and there are McMansions and (insert expensive gas guzzler here) as far as the eye can see.

And usually the people who are most bitter are those who couldn't cash out.