Wired Hexes

sweatinoutliquor

Hey Folks... What's the deal with wired hexes?? I bought a couple of the largish sized black diamond ones (#7 #9), and haven't placed them yet. I have played around with them a bit, trying out the different ways you can place them, but it seems to me like the little wire pretty much limits you to two different placements (regular, like a chock, and sideways, like a sideways chock). Did I just (basically) buy a couple of large chocks? Am I just not being creative enough? I really like the non-wire hexes I have played with cause you can place them in a way that causes them to cam a bit when they get loaded, and use more like 4 different placemetns, than just 2. Finally, if I decide that I am silly for buying large wired hexes, do you think there would be anything wrong with clipping the wire off and putting some slings on them instead? confused.gif

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They can be placed in a camming fashion like corded hexes. You can cut the wire off and thread them, but you need to make sure the cord you use is strong enough to handle leader falls, which can be difficult to find if the holes on the hexes are small. Maxim tech cord works well, but is expensive, often more than the hex you are threading with it. I like the stiffness of it though.

The wired hexes in the midrange are sorta cool because you can feed them into places one-handed at times, something that can be difficult to do with a corded hex.

In the end, you probably should just go climbing and see if you use them much. If you find them annoying, then perhaps it's time to change.

Everyone will probably rant about how you shouldn't waste your money on hexes in the first place, but they still have their place on long moderate climbs, in my opinion. They also work well at places like tieton, where the cracks are irregular and funky.

Thanks for the feedback everyone... Hey Chris, are those wild country's a bit on the heavy side? I just saw those after I got the two wired ones. They look cool! MisterE: Tricams rockband.gif I agree. Thanks everyone, sounds like the cables are coming off! Even with the wires the things are kinda floppy. Lately I have been realizing that I only really place passive pro when I have a good resting stance, and if I have that, then I can afford to fiddle around with a non-wired hex (especially if it get's me a rad placement). Otherwise it's plug a cam and keep flailing. I'll certianly look into this stiffer cordage as well. Thanks everyone!

The holes are probably to small but you can probably fix that with any small drill, just be sure to file the burrs off or you could have issues. And yes, the Wild Country's are sweet smile.gif

Though if your going to drill the holes out a bit make sure that the spacing between them is still sufficient. I seem to remember that the holes for the wires are much closer than the holes on the versions strung on cordage. Might be an issue if there isn't enough material between the holes. Might be able to add 2 holes at the outer edges?