primaloft vs. down

knotzen

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been a couple of threads on this, you'll have to search for them.

As always it depends where you're going to use it and what for. If the temps are going to be well below freezing and/or you know it's not going to get wet then go with down; e.g. Denali. If things are going to be damp; the Cascades or ice climbing, then go with synthetic. As far as I'm aware down still has better warmth for weight than any synthetic.

For climbing in the Cascades I have a Pattagucci Puff Ball Jacket (the hooded one). It's great although the durability of the outer shell fabric is suspect - I've returned one, this year's model is supposedly better. I think I took a brief look at the REI jacket and it seemed pretty similar to the Pattagucci, but about $20 cheaper.

Ade

Here is a good topic on goosedown.

If you want to have something with less insulation but also less bulky, go synthetic. Primaloft is good. I've seen Wild Things Primaloft jackets work well for damp or even wet conditions but down is really warm and packs tight. The insulation cannot get wet though. There are fabrics to prevent most of the water from contacting the down plumage, which is great in terms of greater versatility. Synthetic insulation fits a wider range for warmer temperatures and down fits a wider range for colder temps.

There are always seems to be exceptions to these rules though. Maybe someone would be willing to show examples.

The exterior fabric of a down jacket is important. I have stood around camp, in my DAS (syn fill)), in below freezing temps, while it is snowing all day. The heat from my body warms the jacket enough that the snow constantly melted on my shoulders. The wrong shell on a down jacket would have left the jacket damp for days.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a North Face Redpoint jacket and after stuffing and unstuffing the thing so many times over the last 2 years, its loft hasn't held up. I'm starting to think investing in a good down jacket, like the Feathered Friends stuff with Epic or eVent shell is a good idea, especially for very cold conditions where rain is less of a factor.

I've heard it said that down is best for very cold, dry environments while synthetic is better for warmer, wetter climates. We all know that the Pacific Northwest is certainly not dry. I've got to wonder though... just how cold can it really get here? Seriously, this isn't Alaska or Tibet. If you, by some gross error of judgement, get caught on top of Ranier and the Mother of all storms comes rolling though what's the worst you can expect temperature wise? 0F? Just how warm do our clothing and sleeping bags really need to be before it becomes overkill?

Edited by SurferJon