Enchantment Area / Stuart Range Conditions

gyselinck

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what way you go, but probably not dangerous, just one huge ass slog. We did the S. Face of Prusik last March and broke trail from well below Nada Lake. I guess it depends on what your goals are, but it really sucked getting there. Point is, now its probably even worse of a slog. Once there the slopes on the North and East side could be pretty bad.

• 4 weeks later...

We spent the weekend wondering where the climbers were. As skiers, the approach to the Stuart area was cake.

Conditions varied from awesome to complete ass. Well, conditions for skiing, I mean. tongue.gif

Gorgeous weekend, reasonable approach up Mtneer Creek, beautiful bivy, and a fun little couloir.

545734-stuey-couloir.jpg

545734-stuey-couloir.jpg.f6325c3d2a311b045cd27fc0e68594b6.jpg

I was hoping that the high freezing levels and sunny weather we'd had a week or two ago would've created some ice; alas, as some predicted, it had not, or not much.

Stewart and I planned to go in and check out the TCs on Dragontail, and see if anything was climbable. I'd had the foresight to bring a small set of binoculars; I couldn't tell if the runnels were really thin ice fingers, or simply "snice". Either way, we instantly elected to come back another time, when it would be more fun, and in condition.

So, we camped on the edge of Colchuck Lake with little or no wind (contrary to the forecast) and soaked up the views.

One thing I learned from this trip was that the NF of Dragontail gets absolutely NO sun this time of year. I thought that maybe it might get a bit, but was surprised to see that it didn't get ANY. Furthermore, we took a walk up to Colchuck to look at the NBC and the NEBC, and on the way there, heard a tremendous "WHUMP" underneath what felt like a rock hard, icy slope. We traversed off of it, and realized that there's probably still some slabs existing on North facing slopes. (Even with the long dry spell, I guess the cold weather has kept things from consolidating a bit). Part of the learning curve, I guess. Here's some pics.

4625Dragontail2.jpg

4625ColchkDrg005.jpg

4625ColchkDrg008.jpg

The NW face ice/mixed routes on Dragontail:

4625ColchkDrg012.jpg

4625ColchkDrg013.jpg

4625ColchkDrg015.jpg

Stewart keeping himself warm:

4625ColchkDrg002-med.JPG

That shot of Glenlivet helped; the wind was lacking, but it felt much below zero farenheit at night tongue.gif

Yeah Chad, thanks for driving up this way so we could at least get out and camp! It was freakin cold up there but still a great time.

Goatboy: We were in boots all the way up and down. It wasn't bad as long as you stayed on the 12 inch wide packed part. We only postholed a few times, not enough to justify the floatation for most of it. When we go back though I'm taking my kiddie sled and skis just for the road section, be a lot more fun (and I'm too poor of a skier for going all the way from the lake). :-)

Edited by OlympicMtnBoy