Enchantment Area / Stuart Range Conditions

gyselinck

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did a day hike thru the Enchantments last sunday. One or two inches in the upper lakes, patches in the lower. North faces plastered with new snow, south faces clear and dry. Some veriglas going up Aasgard. A party reported bailing on the W Ridge of Prusik.

There was a little squall coming thru the east side last evening (brief rain at the Pinnacles) which should have added a little more snow in the Enchantments. Looking out my office window at 9:00 on thursday there are clouds over Mission Ridge (6700) no new snow. Can't see the Enchantments from where I sit. Hope this helps.

I was one of the guys who bailed on the W ridge of Prusik. Basically anything that doesn't get direct sun was covered in verglas as of last weekend. We decided we didn't really want to be going for the friction move under those conditions. However I got over to Ingalls peak on Tuesday and the south ridge/face was awesome and bone dry. So there is still the potential to get out there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I called the ranger station, but they didn't know shit. She said she would find out then call me back. The lady then called me back and left a message saying it was closed. I'm taking there word on it, but consider the source. She didn't even know what mountaineers creek was. wink.gif Weather looks perfect all week.

• 2 weeks later...

Nov 24th/25th Update:

Access: Mtneers Creek TH road was not gated: very little packed snow/ice encountered on Thursday on the way in... Gate was still not closed as of Friday though snow was accumulating at a health rate.

Approach: Snowshoe pack from the TH all the way to ½ way around Stuart Lake. Snowshoe pack made for easy travel with minimal post holing. As packed trail stopped at Stuart Lake we post holed from Stuart Lake up to Stuart Glacier and down the Ice Cliff. Post holed out Mtneers Creek. No boot/snowshoe pack currently exists up Mtneers Creek… just the post holes we left Friday on the way out which are likely covered by now. And as we did it in the dark they likely zig zag and double back all over the place so it would be a waste of time to follow them yellaf.gif. Snow shoes highly recommended until gyselinck gets off his lazy butt and reinstalls the boot pack like he did so well last year yellaf.gifwave.gif

Routes:

Stuart:

- Ice Cliff Glacier is very much still in late fall conditions and releasing at inopportune moments. East side was still experiencing temp inversion on Friday morning which didn’t help things either.

- NW Face: sweet ice lines on upper face! Never seen this much continuous ice on the NW face… usually it is the opposite in spring... the upper face is almost all snow/snice and the lower face gets all the ice. Lower face was bare so one would have to drytool/rock climb to reach ice lines.

- SGC: looks thin and spicy! Thin snow/ice line the whole way! Looks sweet but likely gone with the amount of snow that has recently fallen.

- North face in general: snow covering much of the rock.

Argonaut:

- Jason’s esophagus: snow just starting to fill couloir.

Sorry... no pics! My camera didn't make the trip to San Diego snugtop.gif

I'd been watching conditions, but fell off the wagon with staying on top of things this past week. Anyone know if they got any of the brunt of these storms that just went through? I'd like to make a trip up there this winter (sooner, or later). Thanks for any infothumbs_up.gif

I was up at Hubba Hubba on Saturday...

Wazzu's right, the flow there is indeed "thin, runout, and scary..."

We didn't feel comfortable leading it, so we spent most of the day looking for a toprope anchor. To no avail...I'd say it's climable- the first 15 ft had ok, solid water ice (screws were causing some unreassuring fracturing, though). Higher up, it's a crap shoot whether the ice is very thick.

vw4ever- The area certainly hasn't been dumped on (then again, we were just under 3k'). Down by the trailhead we're talking a foot of snow at most, and around 3,000' maybe two feet, with the base of the climbs, being under a cliff, receiving more wind loading and getting to thigh-level. Definitely bring snowshoes if venturing higher. Things were pretty warm and clear, actually. Probably upper 20's.

I'm looking at heading back up there when we get another weather break, so anybody go ahead and give me a holler if you're headed out.

-Ciao, Justin

• 2 weeks later...