Car entrance fees to triple at Mount Rainier

JERRY_SANCHEZ

Car entrance fees to triple at Mount Rainier

03:17 PM PDT on Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Associated Press

SEATTLE -- Mount Rainier National Park plans to increase the entrance fee for vehicles next year by five dollars to 15 dollars.

The park says it would be the first increase in the vehicle entrance fee in nine years.

It says 80 percent of the fees improve facilities and services in the park, such as campgrounds, trails and visitor exhibits.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still a pretty cheap price to pay to climb the mighty peak. I'm not going to complain.

But it isn't cheap if you just want to drive up to Paradise and look around, take pictures, go on a mile loop hike to look at flowers.

I'd like to see our public lands a little more affordable to the whole spectrum of American society. Ostensibly, the lands belong *to* the American people, and are being managed by the park service, USFS, etc., on our behalf.

It used to be parks were places everyone could go, for free. We're becoming accustomed to pay to access any park (even Marymoor, for christ's sake--unless you're close enough to walk, ride, or parachute in), and the entry fees keep climbing.

I know, I know--budget cuts and all of that. Still...it's where you choose to spend your money (hint: Ireq).

Hey, hey, a non-inane post. How's about that?

At the same time though guys, the park really is quite low on funds. They aren't making a hefty profit here. When you consider what it costs to get into other national parks, it really isn't that bad.

Plus, the 10/15$ you pay to get in is good for an entire week. That includes parking, utilities, etc. Not bad in my opinion.

To park at a trailhead anywhere else, for example, The Chugach...you're bound to pay $5/day...each day.

I think I've paid the entrance fee 3 or 4 out of the 5 times I've been to the park and each time I've felt it was well worth the admission. Hell, I think they only charge during the busy season anyways, so if you want to climb in the winter or early spring, you don't pay anything.

I don't think you could find many other mountains of such calibur that cost so little to climb.

personal opinions and stances, I suppose.

Just for curiousity's sake, what is the entrance fee for Baker, Hood, Adams, and Helens? It's been so long since I have been to any of them that I can't remember. That and the fact that mommy and daddy paid while I sat in the back playing gameboy or something.

No doubt Dave, clearly I wasn't thinking. Plus with that $30 I save I'm just gonna get drunk, which can't be good either.

I rescind my opinions. MT RAINIER is THE SHIT. Everybody come to Washington and pay whatever exorbitant fees they invent for shitters, signs, and whatever else is necessary to KEEP THE WILDERNESS WILD and help US enjoy OUR park.

Local News: Thursday, October 13, 2005

Fees are rising at state's national parks

The Associated Press

E-mail article

Search Most e-mailed

Most read

RSS

TACOMA — Effective next year, drivers probably will have to pay $5 more to enter the Mount Rainier and Olympic national parks.

Both parks Wednesday announced plans to raise their vehicle entrance fees from $10 to $15 for a seven-day pass. It would be the first entrance fee increase for both parks in nine years, when the fee went up from $5 to $10.

The increases are expected to be approved by the National Park Service and the Secretary of the Interior. The soonest the new fees could go into effect is Jan. 1.

Eighty percent of that revenue will remain at the respective parks, officials said. Mount Rainier National Park would receive an extra $500,000 to $600,000 each year through the increase.

In the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, the park collected more than $2.37 million in fees, including entrance fees, park passes and campground revenues. The infusion of another $500,000 would allow the park to move sooner on projects such as reconstruction of the Narada Falls trail, redesigning camp sites along the Wonderland Trail to increase the number of spaces and rehabilitating the Westside Road.

In addition to the vehicle fee increase, Mount Rainier officials are planning to raise the camping fee at White River Campground from $10 to $12 per night. At Olympic National Park, the per night camping fee also would rise $2.

In another change, park entrance fees will be collected at Ozette in Olympic National Park. The day-use parking fee there will be eliminated.

North Cascades National Park in northern Washington does not charge a vehicle entrance fee.

An annual park pass to Mount Rainier or Olympic costs $30.

The NWAC is losing their funding from MRNP for 2006. They are out another $8000. The parking fees are warranted due to the high amount of tourism and low amount of recreation that goes on at Paradise.

What do you suppose the ratio is for outdoor users (climbers, skiers, hikers) vs. tourists (those who walk the cement path or never leave the parking lot)?

Maybe it is time to get some busses to shuttle passengers in and out of the park.

I think the west side road is history. It'll just keep washing out unless they build something super. Personally, I like it just how it is out there... remote!

I read once that all visitors to Yosemite travel, on average, 100ft from their cars on their whole trip.

yeah it's amazing how much it costs to maintain a road. I was just talking to a guy named Jeff who actually designs and builds trails in RMNP and he said it costs around $10K per mile of normal trail, up to $40K per mile for bridged or planked trail...

imagine how much it must cost to maintain a road. yikes.

I like the part about rehabilitating Westside Road!! If they're serious about this project - which I doubt - then I will support this fee increase.

Put it in writing, Mr. Uberaga!

I think you're right there Fairweather. Me thinks this is just some nice marketing words to make the increase sound palatable.

The latest long-range plan I read for the Park did NOT include opening this road to PUBLIC traffic. The best option that was floated out there was a shuttle service. You'd park farther down the road from the current closure and be able to ride a shuttle bus up the road. The thinking is that if/when the Tahoma Glacier burps again and washes out the road, they would at worst only have to abandon a bus up the road - they wouldn't have to worry about all the private vehicles up there.

Yes... there probably IS money allocated to "rehabilitate" the road, but that doesn't necessarily mean open it to the public.

-kurt

still a pretty cheap price to pay to climb the mighty peak. I'm not going to complain.

But it isn't cheap if you just want to drive up to Paradise and look around, take pictures, go on a mile loop hike to look at flowers.

anyone that can afford to fill up their gas tank to drive to the park should be able to afford the $15 entrance fee.

I'd like to see our public lands a little more affordable to the whole spectrum of American society. Ostensibly, the lands belong *to* the American people, and are being managed by the park service, USFS, etc., on our behalf.

It used to be parks were places everyone could go, for free. We're becoming accustomed to pay to access any park (even Marymoor, for christ's sake--unless you're close enough to walk, ride, or parachute in), and the entry fees keep climbing.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

I know, I know--budget cuts and all of that. Still...it's where you choose to spend your money (hint: Ireq).

What's new? The taxman taketh and taketh again.