straight shafts on steep ice

David Trippett

Funny how bent shafts and big price tags are endorsed by nearly everybody here for their ability to make hard climbs easy, but the real "tough guys" in the sport are all excited about the "leashless ethic" because of its tendency to make climbs more challenging. Also amusing that leashless climbing has earned "ethical status" when many proponents of this "ethic" endorse bolt trails in the mountains. But I digress.

I climbed for years on Chouinard X-tools, with the slippery, staight, blue-fiberglass covered carbon handles. I used slippery wool mittens. Maybe that shit slowed me down, maybe not. Who cares? I enjoyed getting solid self-belays in the snow slopes above the steep ice and I enjoyed owning tools that were versatile enough for any kind of terrain.

your vast climbing expertise shows again. this is one of the most retard posts i have ever seen in reagard of ice climbing. and your comments about "bolt trails" are based on what? can you tell us the routes you are talking about? and what's your winter cv?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic