runners knee

NYC007

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my suggestions after having to quit running for several years from knee tendinitis (I am thankfully back running). Take time off (there is little chance of healing it while continuing to run). When you get back at it, run on varied surface and emphasize unpaved terrain when possible, cross train (e.g. hike or do stairs), and don't let your shoes get old as they don't cushion or support as well.

I tried to run through my injury and got thoroughly screwed. Don't let your desire for fitness continuity put you into a downward spiral- rest it now and be patient. Good luck.

See thing is I rarely run, once a month would be alot. I 4000m sprints from time to time. But this came from alpine climbing or hiking in general I am told. Runners knee is just a nickname for CHONDROMALACIA PATELLAE. You dont have to run to have it. Its when the pattela moves or grinds mainly steep uphills, high steps, and steep down hill. It has bothered me on and off for a while but now its just on..

i bet you have either excessivly tight hamstrings and or weak quads causing the patella to track incorrectly. get a massage and test your stregnth quads to hams 60 - 40 and make turn your leg in, out, and straight to test all the differnt muscles. work the weakest direction with some tubing at high reps. besides that, it could be a gait problem. running stores sometimes give free gait analysis. and of course see a chiropractor to make sure you don't have any joint restrictions in your foot,ankle,and knee.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was diagnosed with "runners knee" a little over a year ago. I was encouraged to stop running such long distances (more than 6 miles), run on non-paved surfaces, and vary my workouts more to strengthen my knees and surrounding muscles. I have started to wear (when I remember) those knee band things that help your patella stay in place and it has helped immensly. Also, try stretching your IT band. Most of the time Drs will focus in on hamstring, quads, hips as the offending areas when many times knee pain is due to tight IT bands..

...Runners knee is just a nickname for CHONDROMALACIA PATELLAE. ....

I think "runner's knee" can also be "IT-band syndrome" (that's what I have) which is pretty much just a fancy way of saying tight muscles in the upper legs. Sounds like that is what AJM has as well. In that case, pain is caused by the IT band rubbing across the lateral condyle of the femur and doesn't have anything to do with the patella. I think.

Here is some good background info: LINKY

Home remedies for stretching IT bands...no joke

Get a rolling pin.

Insert the rolling pin or similar sized cylinder under the bottom leg just above the knee. Now prop yourself up on your elbow and roll your leg along the rolling pin. I roll for several minutes on each side and work all the way from the knee up to the hip bone.

also see:http://www.ultrunr.com/itb.html