Highway 2

olyclimber

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have witnessed two deadly crashes and seen the aftermath of at least three more on Hwy 2.

I no longer take hwy 2 to 11worth, I go via I90.

If climbing in the SKY valley, I say ten hail marys and hack the foot off one of the neighbor kids bunnies.

It was my understanding that SR-18 and US-12 were the "Blood Alleys" in Washington State, until the recently completed work on SR-18 between I-90 and Enumclaw. That stretch of road is now dropping on the "murder" scale.

By contrast, US-12 from Wallula Junction to Walla Walla remains one of the state's biggest killers. WSDOT has finally obligated funds to improve that stretch, and work is wrapping up on Phase I from Burbank (Snake River Bridge) to the McNary Habitat Management Unit near the Boise Cascade plant. It will be years before the work is complete all the way to Walla Walla.

I once watched a drunk and his german shepard dog pass me and a long column of cars in the turn lane at Gold Bar. I said to my buddy, I don't think we've seen the last of that guy. I was right. He tee-boned a family in a pickup truck that was trying to make a left turn. They didn't expect a car coming that fast in the turn lane. I stopped and gave a statement to the trooper because I wanted to see the guy nailed. I got a summons to testify in court in Monroe, but didn't have to go. The guy plea bargained at the last minute.

"If you leave index on a Sunday nite its best to go the back roads, you can bypass most of the gnarly traffic, plus Reiter Rd. is a good scenic drive."

This is true...once you get to Reiter Road. I've taken it a half-dozen times or so. Sometimes/often, the cars are backed up looong before this point.