Thermos recommendations?

John Frieh

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the push-button stopper seems like a nice option when you are wearing gloves, I'll personally never buy such a thermos again, opting instead for the old-school screw-in lid style. If your push-button stopper breaks (which has happened to me TWICE), your thermos is useless. If it only partially breaks, it will be usuable but will be a complete pain in the ass for the rest of its life. The screw-in type will last forever, and quite frankly doesn't seem too difficult to use with gloves.

The push button gives a better seal, keeping beverages hotter, fresher longer, in my experience. My push button is going strong 7 years later. How the F do you break one?

I've had one of the skinny Zojirushis for about 12 years. It has served me well through grad school all nighters as well as countless days of ice climbing. It has a pop-top that still works just spiffy. It does have a dent or 2 from banging around in the pack, and about 2 years ago the plastic liner came unglued from the lid. One of these days I'll remember to epoxy it back. Don't forget to prewarm the bottle per the earlier posts if you expect it to be a cold day.

Like any tool, a thermos can be your best friend or your worst nightmare. Make sure you choose the thermos appropriate for your situation, or you're going to end up in world of hurt. I think the lesson we can all take away from this is to trust your instincts, go with the gut feeling you get when you hold the gear in your hand....you're probably right...you've lived this long after all. And remember, looks count for half your score...its important to look good as well. Functionality is only half the equation.

I have used the stanley, the Nissan, and an authentic Thermos: they all worked awesome. Preheating is the key for longevity.

That being said, Messner wrote that he much prefered a Thermos to a stove 90 percent of the time. Little research might drag up the brand he used. I would think, given the longevity of those things, that spending the money and getting the very best would be the thing to do.

I have a consumer reports online subscription, they don't list Thermos. Vacuum bottles either. They do speak highly of the Eureka for real vacuums however.

Let us know what you decide?

Here's another little tidbit I learned working outside all last winter. Wrap your thermos in a jacket or extra clothing and it will keep your coffee warm much longer on a cold ass day. I found my coffee cold if left outside unprotected in sub zero weather for a couple hours.

I do have two models, one the run of the mill green stanley for work and one smaller (16oz?) stainless job I'll take in my pack. The smaller one won't hold heat as well probably due to just having less volume to cool down.

Here's a little trick I learned when I was working on the super secret spy monitoring facility that is 300 yards directly below the North Pole:

Preheat your thermos before you pour your coffee/tea/etc in it by pouring boiling water into the thermos and letting it sit there for a while. Then, pour it out and pour in the hot liquid of your choice. It will keep hotter for longer.

When you use this method, all I ask is that you think of me when you're enjoying your hot beveridge. Thanks, and have great day. Olyclimber.

Here's some advice - pre heat your thermos by putting hot fluids in it and letting it sit for a few minutes. Then empty the fluids into the sink or on the ground outside. Now fill your thermos with delicous rich coffee or some savory green tea. BINGO!

I'm not trying to stir the pot too much here but, does anyone know if the molecular structure of tea vs coffee lends to one retaining heat better than the other? confused.gif

Oh, I'm picking out a thermos, for you

Not an ordinary thermos, for you

But the extra-best thermos, you can buy

With vinyl, and stripes, and a cup built right in

I'm picking out a thermos for you

And maybe a barometer too

And what else can I buy, so on me you'll rely

A rear-end thermometer too

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif