Thermos recommendations?

John Frieh

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 1L LLBean that's nice. The Zojirushis are also good. The new REI's aren't. Make sure you get one with a push button stopper, and if you want things to be really warm, fill the bottle with boiling water and empty before filling with your beverage of choice.

I got a cheap one at Next Adventure for about $20. Holds a good amount, keeps liquids hot on a long day. If I can make it to drytool night sometime soon I'll bring it along.

Edit: removed hot water priming description, since cj001f beat me to it

Edited by Camilo

How many biochemistry classes do I have to take to recommend a thermos?

Well if you take even 1 Fuenos, that about 1 more than both of us have taken in total in our entire life: no?

monkees.jpg

Doesn't get better than Monkees Thermos that unless you could find a Wonderwoman one.

God you gotta love a strong beautiful woman who walks around in a skimpy costume with a whip and a rope don't ya?

PS, you are welcome.

Cya:

Bill

Geek_em8.gif Small Q please! 507049-Impg_Eqn05.gif

Huh?

m (dot) is mass flow rate. For a thermos, don't you have a fixed mass of fluid you are trying to keep warm? Therefore, m (dot) is zero.

if your m(dot) is zero then you're not drinking anything from the thermos, and then there's no point to keeping it warm! bigdrink.gif

I was talking to a clerk at REI regarding recommendation on a cragging/climbing specific thermos, and he recommened the Zojirushi Tuff Slim Vacuum Bottle, with its low-profile design which stows easily in a bag or a tote. It also features a extra-wide mouth, which allows you to add ice cubes to keep liquids. It also has an automatic push button, pour-through stopper which is really easy to use.

However, at $35 for something that can only carry .5 liter, I argued with the clerk that this was simply not enough volume to meet my requirements, and the price was high.

At this point the clerk switched gears and pressed me with the REI Stainless-Steel Vacuum Bottle, with its impressive 1 liter capacity. Its unbreakable stainless-stell vacuum bottle stands up to daily use. It is just the perfect size for slipping into a briefcase or backpack, and at the low, low price of $27.95 is sure to please the budget of the most demanding consumer.

However, before the clerk could close the deal, I remembered that I had a thermos that I had bought for going fishing. I wondered if perhaps it might be a multi-sport thermos, able to do double duty as a climbing thermos. I asked the clerk, but he didn't couldn't help me out with my question, but urged me to be careful.

At this, I threw caution to the wind and took my fishing thermos climbing. I preheated the thermos, using the well documented technique of filling the thermos with hot water and allowing it to warm the thermos before filling it with hot tea.

In the field, the fishing thermos performed quite well as a climbing thermos. After a long day (starting at 6am) of toiling around with my icetools and crampons on the glacier, I retrieved the thermos from my pack. While the thermos is a little hefty, I was not put off by it, as I was just cragging and did not expect to spend the night or carry over.

The hot tea that poured from my fishing thermos was so hot it scalded my tongue. However, the tea filled me with the necessary vigor, and soon I was back to flailing up the cliffs of ice, satiated with the warmth provided from the belly of my metalic beast.

Normally, I wouldn't take such risk, so I'm not quite sure what got into me...but I was not dissappointed. I plan on adding a LaSportiva sticker to my new dual-sport thermos. You really can't appreciate reward without risk.

Details and specs:

Stanley® Vacuum Bottle.

The Stanley® classic stainless steel vacuum bottle. Double-wall stainless steel cup. 8 oz. capacity. Wider opening. Big enough for ice cubes and easy-to-clean. 100% stainless steel construction. Durable rust-proof finish. Heavy-duty handle folds flat for storage. Exclusive Char-Vac™ technology. The only bottle that combines vacuum insulation and a protective charcoal barrier to provide superior temperature retention and durability.

2 Sizes to choose from:

No. ABT6019-600: 1.1 quart @ 2.9380 lbs

No. ABT6007-600: 2.0 quart

Come on people! Back on topic!!! Has anyone owned a nissan thermos? Good? Bad?

yes, the stainless steel one. I built a foam suit for it to get extra insulation and protect it from dents which would reduce its effectiveness. With the prewarming trick, if left unopened, it will keep boiling water still too hot to touch for close to 30hrs. This is significantly better performance than my Hello Kitty thermos, but it is not as cute.

I have the same multi-sport thermos as olyclimber. Its function allows me to fill it with hot cocoa and peppy schnapps for an evening of car camping and without any modifications carry coffee ice climbing the next day. A Johnny Cash sticker identifies it as mine and encourages me to not suck.

Make sure you get one with a push button stopper...

While the push-button stopper seems like a nice option when you are wearing gloves, I'll personally never buy such a thermos again, opting instead for the old-school screw-in lid style. If your push-button stopper breaks (which has happened to me TWICE), your thermos is useless. If it only partially breaks, it will be usuable but will be a complete pain in the ass for the rest of its life. The screw-in type will last forever, and quite frankly doesn't seem too difficult to use with gloves.

You can buy replacement push-button lids, but they cost at least half of what the thermos costs. I just don't think the push-button style is "mountaineering quality," and I hate replacing gear just because a small part broke. Then again, if you buy it at REI, you'll always be able to return it and get a new one if it does break. Still seems like a pain in the ass though.